Gear Drive for the I6 ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 21:38   #1 (permalink)

Gear Drive for the I6 ?

Ive been doing some searching on google but I cant for the life of me find a gear drive/ direct drive system to replace the timing chain.

Im considering a direct drive system as it seems my timing chain gave out last night while driving.

Symptoms: Heard a quiet Whiirrrr crunch, lost all rpm, pushing throttle did nothing. I stopped and did a quick check (was 11pm and no torch ).
Car does crank (very smoothly) but does not start.

What kind of damage can I expect if a linkage did give way in the timing chain (its only 2 years old). Im hoping the valve heads survived and that I can just put a new chain on (or so direct drive gear if I can locate some).

Thanks in advance guys

Mods: Pacemaker extractors, lukey cat back system. DBA Slotted rotors front & back.
Loud-EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 01:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gear Drive for the I6 ?

the falcon timming systems have always been a pretty reliable thing!
my bet would be to quickly rip the rocker cover off witch should take you litrally 2 minutes and have a look see whats going on!
and hwne you say the engine cranks smoothly what do you mean? like does it crank really fast or what?
i dont think you would have done a timming chain because of the fact that if it cranks normally witch im assuming thats what you mean by smooth!
because if you have no valve timming your extremely lucky if you havent bent a valve and also it wouldnt crank very nice because the gasses are trapped in the combustion chamber on at least one but more likly 2 cylinders and would make it almost hydralic lock!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:22   #3 (permalink)

Cheers notty, I havent picked the poor thing up yet (still sitting on the side of the road).

But yes it cranks @ a nice smooth speed.

Im hoping Im very lucky like you say :)

Mods: Pacemaker extractors, lukey cat back system. DBA Slotted rotors front & back.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:55   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud-EA
Cheers notty, I havent picked the poor thing up yet (still sitting on the side of the road).

But yes it cranks @ a nice smooth speed.

Im hoping Im very lucky like you say :)
MM sounds like a broken cam.. or broken something .
ouch
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:20   #5 (permalink)

Ive seen a fair few broken chains and in all cases the broken chain jams and cranks the timing cover. If it has gone, your valves will be bent, sump will be full of broken plastic and metal from the chain/cover/guides, and a slim possibility of a cracked piston.

No gear drives available, and really no need. The timing chains are actually reliable and when you pull the engine down you tend to find that although the broken chain was the fatal blow it was caused by something else.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:59   #6 (permalink)

Got it towed home today by RAC, the guy gave me a few tips etc.

Pulled rocker cover off, chain still on (thank god), removed dissy cap and rotor is still feels firm so I can assume that the linkage didnt break.

I think the fault is with the fuel pump, when I turn the ignition to the spot before cranking I dont hear the fuel pump pressurize anymore.

I will do the self test tomorrow and see error codes come up is it safe to assume broken fuel pump if test comes back ok do you think.

Old 01-20-2007, 23:40   #7 (permalink)

fuel pumps stuff up all the time in them usaully you can give them a hit with a hammer and it will get you home!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:56   #8 (permalink)

lol, where exactly would u hit it ?, from inside the boot on the seal ?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:18   #9 (permalink)

yeah take the inspection panel off and hit it
Old 01-21-2007, 07:49   #10 (permalink)

Cool, well it wont hurt to give it a knock or 2 seeing as its allready crapped out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech