Going TURBO... Any Tips?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 02:42   #1 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

Going TURBO... Any Tips??

Hi Guys, I've just got my self a turbo kit with T4 and top mounted intercooler.

Because I know there a few ppl here who have turbo charged there falcons. I was just wonder if there is anything I should look out for or not do.

I'm asking because at the moment I can't afford decompression pistons and am planing on bolting it onto a stock engine. I don't need 20psi boost just 6psi would how ever I would like to go up about 10 or 12 in time..

Or should I wait till I get the pistons, or would a decompression plate do??

Thanx in advance...
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 03:18   #2 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

Re: Going TURBO... Any Tips??

i'd advice you to just keep saving and do it properly, just saying this because ive seen it done before and someone has done it and not properly and they ended up with a leg out the side of there block.

To do it properly your going to need a fair amount of money how ever, Ive looked into it and re searched it so many times and thats the only reason I havent done it, money!

For around $1500 you can build or engine with decompressed pistons, copper head gasket, re ground cam to turbo spec. Then your looking at other stuff like a custom plenum chamber and exhaust manifold, Surge tank (good thing to have) and the list goes on and on.

If you were in the sydney area I could hook you up with a few guys that make good manifolds,plenum chambers for a very cheap price. I know one guy that does em for a case of piss.. lol

Another thing your going to have to look at is, your running gear, will it withhold the increased power putting through it? and ya can't say ur gonna drive it like a granny on 6psi! ppffft! :o Also, engineering it.. Anyways, the list goes on mate. Depends what you wanna do with it, If your smart you will build it right and not want it for the "show off valve nose" or its pussy rating for the car.. heh! seen to many motors **** up coz ppl dident do it right..

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:25   #3 (permalink)

the car would take 6psi ok, the driveline would most likely take it also.
TSA do a bolt on kit using a smaller turbo but run it with 5-8psi depending on intercooler, its a pretty decent kit from what i've heard so 6psi on your stock engine should be fine until the funds allow rebuild, just don't be tempted to drive it too hard or up the boost.

XCHASR has some decent points, just make sure u don't go overboard :)
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:28   #4 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

The kit come with every to bolt it straight up... So I won't be need an exhuastmanifold..

I'm just looking at 6psi at the moment and not sure if I will go any higher.. and no I'm not putting it just to have a blow-off valve (I hate em if there too loud). So 6 is probley what it will stay at. and may be in a year or 2 if I still have the car I might look into boosting it up more..
Old 03-19-2004, 04:12   #5 (permalink)

6 psi will be fine however keep a good eye on your mixtures and be sure not to lean it out, unless you want a blown head gasket or a melted piston. Take youe time setting it all up and make sure it's done properly the first time.

And before you get tempted to give it a hiding make sure you get the thing dyno tuned by a "decent" workshop, i'd even take the trip to JPC in melbourne as they are excellent with their tuning.

Good luck!!!
ttxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:22   #6 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

Quote:
and no I'm not putting it just to have a blow-off valve (I hate em if there too loud).
wasent dissing u or anything mate, but i'd honestly re search it a bit more and see about engineering it also, goodluck mate!

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:42   #7 (permalink)

6 to 8 psi max for a stock engine - definitely no more, and get a programmable chip and dyno tune it at a reputable shop.

I'd go a front mount the intercooler, dont top mount it. Nowhere near as efficient. Intercooler cooling air while sitting above a hot engine? Kinda defeats the purpose...

And dont dismiss a blow off valve, they keep your boost up and stop impeller shock ( ie air rebounding off the "snapped" shut throttle and slowing down your turbo ). I'd also recommend lightening your flywheel to keep the revs up in the power band. They sound a bit wanky but serve a purpose...
Old 03-19-2004, 14:55   #8 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Adding to xr-virgin, you can get a plumback BOV that'll be quiet. And I think they're the only technically legal ones anyway, not sure on that.

The engine should handle 12psi or more if it's tuned right (and in fairly good condition). Mine's hit 12psi with no dramas as yet (but it's been rebuilt recently to stock specs and i'm pulling back the boost to 10psi max, so...). So long as it doesn't ping it should be fine.
Old 03-19-2004, 21:18   #9 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

xr-virgin I know of a guy here in shepparton who has about 300rwkw with a top mount intercooler. Of course he dose have bonet vents to cool it, but it dosen't seem to have a problem with the heat... But I'd prob still go front if/when I can afford it...

Xeron thats the BOV that I'll prob put on or get if the kit has a lound BOV...

I've had the bottom end of the engine rebuilt about a year ago, so it's all in pritty good shade... Pitty I didn't know then that I was going to be going turbo now...
Old 03-19-2004, 23:45   #10 (permalink)
GOT MILK??

did you get the kit off ebay? i was going to get one but didnt know if there were any good.

cheers

Nick
96 EL Fairmont Ghia, Auto, Tickford motor, Wade 1004@112 cam, shift kit, custom CAI, pedders shocks with king spring superlows, 17" AMG Quakes, 2.5 M/B cat back system, kenwood headunit, kenwood 5" spilts, kenwoos 6.5" rear, 2 12" kenwood subs, 5ch Amp 114db.

Mods to came:
Race series Extractors
Bigger Cam
EL Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech