Ford Forums banner

Harmonic balancer

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  snavy 
#1 ·
Hey all i had a friend who works for ford look at a rattling problem i have, first i thought it was the chain/guides. So my friend looked took off the drive belt, started the car, and the noise was gone!

So that means it eliminates the timing chain/guides right? We thought it was the top idle pulley, i changed it but the noise is still there! I looked at the harmonic balancer today seems to be not moving smooth!

could this be the cuase of the noise?

thanks

#2 ·
Make sure Bolt on Harmonic is tight.The Harmonic Balancer is made of three peices,the centre where the bolt goes through then a rubber bit and then the outer part which is pressed on to the rubber.sometimes the outer bit comes forward off the rubber bit as the centre can not move as it is bolted to the engine.Not saying this is the problem but cant hurt to check.

#6 ·
No special tool required... a second 10mm spanner or a big flatblade screwdriver as a brace to stop the pulley turning is all that is needed.

Usually its not the pulley that is warped, but the bearing in the water pump goes creating freeplay. There is very little room for movement inside the pump where the impeller sits and it could be hitting the metal plate inside which creates the vortex for water flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.