Head Gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2002, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
91 EA Spak

Head Gasket

My Head Gasket was leaking the day I bought my Falcon. It is still leaking now and I dont think Its lacking power. Its got an LSD diff and it spins the tyres Mighty Fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2002, 19:24   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Mine is the same (except the bit about spinning tyres) which is normal I believe. As I understand it, work will be required down the track, but if the leak isn't too bad, the engine will be fine for a long while.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
91 EA Spak

Re: Head Gasket

yeah Im gonna change it if it gets 2 bad
Old 02-27-2002, 20:47   #4 (permalink)
ben

Re: Head Gasket

If your head gasket leaks you should not run the cooling system presurised until its replaced. failure to replace a simple gasket set of $120 could result in $1000 new head and installation, and possibly new engine. If the car is used any other than normal severe cracking of the head will spread and cause a sudden and extreme degradation of performance. motor could seize and then your rooted.

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 21:04   #5 (permalink)
Martin

Depends on what you guys mean by 'leaking'
Are you talking about oil or coolant?

Leaking oil isnt really worth worring about, but leaking coolant is a major problem.

Id only change it if it start to drink water.

Find me a Iron block/Alloy headed engine with a decent amount of kms that doesnt leak oil :)
Old 02-27-2002, 21:16   #6 (permalink)
ben

Re: .

agreed
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 07:57   #7 (permalink)
Brent79

Head gasket!!!!!!!

Hey boyz, you're sucessfull in making me worry my pants off!
What happens when the head gasket goes?? How would i know? I dont revv my engine past 3000rpm, will i still blow it?
If it blows, how much will it cost to replace?? *worried*

Brent
Old 02-28-2002, 07:59   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: Head gasket!!!!!!!

I thought that the leaking problem would get much worse before it blows. If the leak is very minor, it wouldn't be a problem. However, if anyone else has anything to add to this, I'd also be interested...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:45   #9 (permalink)
EA 238

One of the great beauties of a head gasket going is that the first you might know about is when the car has real big problems because it's blown the coolant and the temp sender ain't surrounded by water so it ain't sending any warnings. So you can end up with a seized donk and/or warped head, and big dollars. Like someone else said, if it's leaking coolant it's a potential disaster. Get it looked at professionally if you're not sure.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:38   #10 (permalink)
KeRaZy SPaK

I have an interesting story-recently my ive been losing a shitload of coolant, my gfs dad (professional mehcanic, has worked at a Ford dealership for ages) checked the car out, found some lose hoses and put a new radiator in. Still the problem persisted until i looked under the oil filler cap to find 'that' milky substance. Instantly i thought the head gasket was stuffed, or possibly something wrong with the head.

Anyways I had to wait a few weeks till my gfs dad could take a look at the car, during that time a mate of mine put in one of those blocks that disintegrate and seal holes into the cooling system. I took my car to my gfs dad this weekend, he couldnt find any signs of head gasket etc failure-he pressure tested the car, drained the oil checked for milky stuff and nothing.

Throughout all this the car has run fine (no harshness, apparently when the gasket goes the car loses power and runs really rough) so im gonna keep driving her around and see what happens. Any comments/Ideas? I dont know whats goin on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech