Head gasket change - tips? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2002, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Question Head gasket change - tips?

Hi all,

Blew the head gasket on the XE (4.1L six) yesterday, going to replace it myself with some help from Dad. Just wondering if there was anything I need to watch out for when doing this, in particular:

Should the head bolts be tensioned twice or just once??

Should I just put water in the radiator for a while instead of coolant after the new gasket is installed?

Any other advice would be appreciated.
The Mighty XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2002, 03:12   #2 (permalink)

Head studs are tensioned in three stages - you need to do them again after 1000km even if you use a monotorque gasket.

It is a good idea to put straight water in for the first start up in case you do have a leak - you don't want to lose your expensive coolant while you fix it. Just be sure to put sealant around the front driver's side stud - from memory I think it is the one that goes into a water jacket.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 04:28   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Use new cyl. head bolts..
Check tensioner, timing chain etc..
Good time to replace..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 06:29   #4 (permalink)

Because the XE six is a simpler design (don't have the Overhead cam) the head gasket is fairly easy to replace - if you've got a workshop manual follow the steps on removing (and assembling)the pushrods and rockers - you can bend the pushrods fairly easy if you don't have the No 1 cylinder sitting on Top dead Centre (don't quote me on that one but the motor does need to be in that sort of position - the manual will tell you)

Other than that it is possible to remove the head with both exhaust and inlet manifolds attached but if you remove them you can then also replace those gaskets - I don't think it costs too much to recondition the heads these days (If required)

As i said a not so difficult task Have Fun

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 10-13-2002, 04:50   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Ahh XE sorry thinking ohc.It is always agood idea to put engine on tdc but make sure its on compression stroke,air coming out spark plug hole with plug out.T.D.C is not intirely nessessary when pulling head off for the dissy,cam,timming chain is not touched just for head gasget replacement..But again still agood idea..Pays to put pushrods,rockers back in same position as they came from..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 05:48   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

dont torque the front right bolt to the third stage or will more than likely crack the block.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 18:17   #7 (permalink)

an easy job, did mine in 1/2 a day. Only hassle was getting the old gasket off the alloy head. Torqued all bolts down as normal, but did last stage twice (at same tension setting).
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech