Head gasket (more) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2002, 00:16   #1 (permalink)

head gasket )more)

G'day thrillseekers. I recently replaced the head gasket, and basicaly it was a successful operation, however I now have an oil leak which seems to be coming from the area of the head that encloses the timong chain. I know it isn't the timing chain adjuster, as I recently replaced to O-ring, and tensioned it correctly.

Can anyone confirm the possibility of oil leaking from that particular area, and maybe suggest a fix? I am thinking of silastic (on the outside) but am unsure if it will work. Of course i don't want to remove the head to fix it if I can get away with it!

In passing, recently did the shox too. A relatively easy job, but make sure that you line up the top spring retainer correctly, otherwise you have to re-compress the spring to get it right .Trust me, I know! It's also easier to take off the complete stub axle, and only adds an extra 10 mins to the job.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2002, 00:40   #2 (permalink)
donuts2001

Yes there is a good chance of a leak coming from the timing chain front seal. Did you remember to put a new seal in at the front, and put a little bit of gasket sealant on the sides when you changed the head gasket?

My Suggestion is to try to clean up the area all the way along the front timing chain seal area as best as you can to get rid of oil, and then get a good quality gasket sealant stuff and run it along the full length of gap. Then while its still wet, press as much as you can inside the gap, then let dry before starting your motor again.

The only other option is to change the head gasket again.
Old 12-22-2002, 22:02   #3 (permalink)

I am sure (I think) I replaced the front seal, but didn't put any sealant on the sides.

I will give that idea a go and see what happens. Other than that, let it leak or change the head gasket again (sob)

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2002, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
the previous owner of my car did the old silastic trick on the outside to cover up the oil leak and it didnt work to good it still leaked oil out but you can try it and see how you go you never know it might work for you

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 18:04   #5 (permalink)

Mine was leaking a little in this location too and I degreased it then did the dodgy and smeared silastic around the outside of the join. 9months on and its still there with no leaks.

Did the same around the sides of the Timing cover too also with success.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 00:50   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Dont use Salastic guys, Use 'Ultra Blue or Ultra Copper'.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 01:58   #7 (permalink)

thanks people, all this taken on board. I shall give the Ultra Blue a go and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech