head gasket question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 06:13   #1 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

head gasket question

i got my SVO cylinder head back today and I was wondering what type of head gasket I should use. I think I remember bass-crazy saying something about using an AU headgasket because they are a bit thinner and it gets your compression up a bit more.

I found out though that the head guy had to shave a bit more off the head because of the damage caused a while ago. the intake valves look very close to deck height now...dunno how much he shaved off...

But anyway, should I stick with a standard headgasket as I used with this head previously or go with an AU one if they fit (or something else altogether)?
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 07:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: head gasket question

I am just in the process of changing my EB head gasket. The coolant holes on the rear of number 6 cylinder have coroded through to the cylinder. I have heard that I can use an AU head gasket, but no-one up here in Qld has heard of this. Have you certain advice that AU head gaskets fit EB's. Also what about AU bolts. The local spare parts goons say that they are the same part number, but I am sure I saw a thread that said the AU head bolts were a better bolt.
keep research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:34   #3 (permalink)

use the au gasket... best option you have, yet to see one leak any coolant, use the au bolts also, just check though that when you put them in that they dont foul on your rocker gear, around the sides of the bolt heads im talking, if they do you just die grind a tiny bit off the rocker pedestalls..

so that myth is CONFIRMED, they do fit
Old 09-11-2005, 23:15   #4 (permalink)

OK... I have read a bit about using AU head bolts and AU head gaskets on the EB or all e-series engines. If we do this what torque spec do we use? Do we torque down the AU gasket as per the specs on the au packing or torque down to the EB specs. Both are different.

Also the monotalk gasket is graphite. One should not use hylomar with graphite gaskets but only use it on steel. Where do we get a steel head gasket from for the AU. What brand is this.

Also head bolts are mad by different manufacturers for different prices. What braqnd is recommended. ACL, genuine, Nason????
Old 09-12-2005, 01:08   #5 (permalink)

use the genuine ford head gasket for au should be a redish colour any thing else ive tried has caused problems. torque to au specs with au studs. clean stud holes with a tap and lightly lube threads and undersides of heads
nutwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:51   #6 (permalink)

no, the genuine au "metal" gasket is black in colour, its a triple layer steel item. Dont use any sealer with it, just make certain everything is spotlessly clean and youll have no trouble, the reason yu shouldnt use any sealer is becuase it relaxes and releives the tension on the gasket.... you use sealer with copper gaskets but they require re-torquing. Ive only had experience with using genuine headbolts, never trusted any other brand, even though they r probably made at the same place, id rather be safe than sorry.

as for torque specs, use the au, which is: evenly tighten to 90nm, back off to unseat bolt head, then run down to 30nm, then turn further 120deg...

use a smear of grease on the bolt threads and bolt heads to stop any binding, than as i said b4, just check there is no contact with the rocker pedestals against the bolt heads...

Goodluck
Old 09-12-2005, 15:58   #7 (permalink)

trouble is, I just contacted the Ford Dealers and they do not stock the Guinuine head gasket on its own. Said I have to buy the VRS kit worth $383.00. which includes the head gasket. Would you suggest to use mono-torque brand or pro-torque. Both of these are black graphite but I cannot tell if they are steel inside due to being plastic wrapped inside packaging.

As for the head bolts, they are $6 each at the ford dealer and $3 at other places. I would bet that they are all made as a core product at the one factory in Taiwan and put in different packaging. What are your thoughts.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:34   #8 (permalink)

well, tell the ford dealer to pull their finger out, i work at a ford dealer myself, and, the head gasket is available seperate, it has its own part #, something like er5081a? i can get the number you need to order for you if you want it?? retail on the gasket alone would be roughly $80

you say the m/t p/t gaskets are black graphite? well, their not mls gaskets then, a Multi layer steel gasket, is exactly that, just 3 pieces of thin sheet metal, nothing else.

my thoughts on the head bolts is that your probably right, BUT, when screwing the head down on my turbo engine, i was keen to take the risk on the cheaper ones not being up to the task as good as genuine, take your pick i guess, its your cash...

BUT i have seen some aftermarket bolts and honestly didnt look to be any different, although i didnt compare them side by side with genuine ones
Old 10-30-2005, 05:44   #9 (permalink)

The best head gasket for the E Series would be the AU genuine Ford head gasket. They have three layers of steel and are the most robust gasket about. I just fitted one to my EB Series 2 Wagon, with an EL head and a AU rocker cover, plus an EF rocker assembly and a EB camshaft. Hows that for an hybrid. The beast runs beautifully and we expect a much longer life than the two previous head gaskets used, which were the so called great ACL monotorque gaskets. First one went about 95000Kms and the second only made it to 55000 kms. Failed in the same spots - at the rear end of the gasket near no. 6 cylinder. It was breaking up. So anyone out there thinking of an AU head gasket for their E series - do it, it works. The next best option is a genuine Ford head gasket for the particular model. They are very sticky and robust as well. The owner at Fordpower wreckers swears by them.
peter61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

some SERIOUS thread mining here....

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech