head transplant - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2004, 01:40   #1 (permalink)

head transplant

howzit
what would be a good head to bolt on to an 89 3.9 CPI engine??
also costs???
cheers
nutrok4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2004, 03:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: head transplant

According to JMM, the EF/EL head is the best for performance. If you plan on doing other mods, this may be the go. If not...steer clear of anything EA/EB- they have some design issues (note frequend EA/EB head gasget/cracked head discussions)
AU have smaller valve areas or something...EB2/ED doesn't really get mentioned anywhere, but are probably considerably cheaper than EF/EL/AU. (note that any EL after january 1998 could be "Hybrid EL/AU" engine with the AU head...)
I'm sure someone has some facts to prove this babble...or disprove it...either way we both learn something...
DM
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 19:05   #3 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

I'm sure someone else will say this so I'll jump in first - whats the reason for wanting a different head? Is that for a performance gain or do you have a cracked head, etc?

If you're after a performance gain then you won't really notice any difference with any head. Convert to multipoint instead.

However you can go for any head you want, tickford ones flow better than std ones, EF ones are generally considered the best std ones I think, and if you get a late model EL/AU head then you'll need the whole rocker assembly as its different from the earlier e-series heads.

I reckon you could get a good second hand head for around AUS$300 from a wreckers or much less depending on condition. Or much higher for the tickford ones or later model ones. Seeing as you are talking about parts with a possible 10 year timeframe, the price will vary accordingly.

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 19:21   #4 (permalink)

hey dude
i want a new head cause the tappets are staring to go n i cant be bothered just changing them and instead of getting new rocker gear i was just gona get a new head and start modifying my car
so yea
cheers
Old 12-25-2004, 20:46   #5 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Well most likely a new head won't come with rocker gear, and hence, no lifters (tappets). So that'll cost a bit more then.

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 21:54   #6 (permalink)

I reacon your best bet would be to go and pick up an EF/El engine complete with loom and computer and swap the whole lot over. That way you replace the head + rocker gear, and do a mp and bbm conversions at the same time. If you dont mind doing the work youself this is a cheap way to get a lot more power.

Cheaper yet in the long run would be to sell the EA and buy a later model car, but you need money right away to do that.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 18:38   #7 (permalink)

thanx guys
i might be able to an ef xr6 engine
will the auto comp present any problems to my manual box??
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech