Head Work - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 02:56   #1 (permalink)

Head Work

I have a 1994 EF Fairmont 6 that will need to have the valve stem seals replaced in the near future. I know it can be done with the head on the car but last time I had this done with another car it blew the head gasket within days so I have made the decision to take the head off. While it is off I intend on putting in a larger cam and was wondering what you guys would recomend for other head mods for improved power?

Can the head be shaved (if so what would be recomened and by how much) and is there any benifit in getting any work done on the intake and exhaust ports?

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before, but is it true that the AU head is more suited to being "worked" (i think someone said the valves are larger?) and if so will an AU head bolt straight on to my EF bottom end. I was thinking of buying an AU head, getting it worked on then fitting it as my car would be off the road for a much shorter period of time.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2004, 22:18   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Head Work

AU head has larger valves and stiffer springs. The cam lifts are much different to an EF so bear that in mind when buying aftermarket cams.
It will bolt straight on, and I believe it might actually be slightly ported as compared to the EF head already. I would still reccomend you have it ported+polished though. Probably wouldn't bother with shaving it though.

What I really like about the AU head is the temperature sensor in the back of the head - much smarter place to put it IMO and you'll get a much more accurate reading if you hook that up instead of the thermostat one.

Alex

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 23:02   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that info, I read that the rocker ratio (i think) is different from AU to EF is this what you are refering too? If I installed a crow cam or similar regound cam would I have to use one that is designed for an AU to overcome the differences you mentioned? Will fitting a mildly modified AU head make any more power than the standard EF head?
Old 03-14-2004, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
It's All Good!

Hey thats a pretty good idea, I'd say it would definately be worth some extra power. Putting a stock AU Head on might be worth a little power itself, let alone a cam + porting/polishing. Don't forget to get the intake manifold match ported to the new head!
I have a question though too, would an AU head fit on an EBII motor with pretty much no modifications? Would the 'old' style manifold bolt up to it, though I wouldnt mind doing the BBM conversion at the same time....
Voxace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:52   #5 (permalink)

Yeah that's what I meant. You'll need an AU-compatible aftermarket cam. It definitely will make more power!

An AU head will fit on any 3.9 or 4L motor except the BA. All heads are interchangeable EA-AU. Ditto the manifolds. It's definitley worth doing the BBM conversion, give a better response down low though nothing extra at topend unfortunately Though you should find the stock AU head will make more power than your old EB head before doing any porting etc...

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 03-14-2004, 04:53   #6 (permalink)

voxace, all interchangeable
Old 03-14-2004, 05:13   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys, I'll go looking for an AU head this week. Will I need to get the head gasket for an AU or are they the same. Can the AU head be fitted as is (once it has been worked on) or will I have to use the EF rocker gear (seeing as they are different ratios). When changing over to the AU temp sensor can I use the standard EF wiring or will it have to be rewired to suit?
Old 03-14-2004, 20:01   #8 (permalink)

hey how did u get the illuminated dials and were from and howe mcuh. also i got a el farimont I6 just wanting to no how ure project turns out cause if a csignificant increase i wouldnt mind doing the same myself.
XR_6turb_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 21:10   #9 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

get a JMM head, $1500 + a wade 1004<112 hi-lift, $365.....

www.jimmockmotorsport.com

160rwkws easy.

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
-------------------------------
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:16   #10 (permalink)

AU h/g is reputed to be better, all-metal as opposed to the earlier composite gaskets.
AFAIK the EF rocker gear should bolt straight on. The wires are not present in the EF looms to accept that sensor, is entirely up to you anyway but personally I'd wire it in :)

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech