Ford Forums banner

Help! Before I drive my EA off a damn cliff!!!

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Zomwit 
#1 ·
Hey all

Well.....the story goes something like this. We own two cars at our place, my EA and a EB series 2 wagon. Right. Well, a few months back our wagon developed a knock. It only happened when you pulled in/out of driveways, hit a bump etc. We ignored it for ages, went to put new tyres on it and get a wheel alignment done. Guys said that the steering rack was rooted, was causing the noise and was too rooted to do wheelalignment. Brand new rack installed. Hey presto, front end knock free, steering felt good ( a little heavier too)

Anyway, the EA spat a power steering switch, and fluid was leaking onto my steering rack (inside the rubber grommet where the joint thingy is). Car starts knocking on driveway, and when u accelerate (same as wagon, but wagon never knocked getting on the gas)

So we thought its the steering rack. In the meantime, I have replaced all front springs, shocks, lower balljoints, tie rod ends etc. Knock was still there, although rather dampend. Then, recently, car knocked around everywhere, including when you killed the motor. Decided to get ED steering rack (doesnt have bushes in it like the EA, so fluid wont **** it up) put it in tonight, and guess what? THE KNOCKING IS STILL THERE! And the steering is WAY heavier (is full of fluid, no leaks).....not that I mind too much, i thought the EA was a bit light anyway

So my question is WHAT IS THIS DAMN KNOCKING! I have checked my upper balljoints (seem ok), but thinking it might also be either the sway bar bushes (big maybe) or the castor rods are moving around (another big maybe) These things are the only things left that I have not replaced! I am spending money on shit that aint curing the knock and its a pain in the arse! (i am meant to be buying new tyres tomorrow.......215x15 FALKEN $129 each....mates rates!)

Sorry for the long post

sikEA

See less See more
G
#4 ·
Knocking Etc

Just my 20cents worth. Same sort of problems with my ea but i didnt change the rack. did the mounts everything. Even the Kframe underneath. After doing Kframe. Knocking stopped for about 2 weeks or so. But it's back. I think the car is possesed. So i just put up with it now. Cost me a bloody fortune. Even worse when you lock the steering and reverse or going up or down a driveway. If anyone has a fix let me know. Everything underneath has been undone and redone. Pain in the arse.

Regards

#6 ·
hmmmmm

Thanks guys, we replaced engine mounts a year ago, but they might be rooted again...I'll have a look tomorrow

I dont think its the exhaust, but I'll also check that

K frame....Could be I guess....

Took it to bob jane t mart today when i got my tyres, they put it up on the hoist and couldnt find anything either......its prolly something simple like the upper balljoints or a bush somewhere, I'll just keep replacing shit till it stops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.