Help! Before I drive my EA off a damn cliff!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2002, 20:15   #1 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Help! Before I drive my EA off a damn cliff!!!

Hey all

Well.....the story goes something like this. We own two cars at our place, my EA and a EB series 2 wagon. Right. Well, a few months back our wagon developed a knock. It only happened when you pulled in/out of driveways, hit a bump etc. We ignored it for ages, went to put new tyres on it and get a wheel alignment done. Guys said that the steering rack was rooted, was causing the noise and was too rooted to do wheelalignment. Brand new rack installed. Hey presto, front end knock free, steering felt good ( a little heavier too)

Anyway, the EA spat a power steering switch, and fluid was leaking onto my steering rack (inside the rubber grommet where the joint thingy is). Car starts knocking on driveway, and when u accelerate (same as wagon, but wagon never knocked getting on the gas)

So we thought its the steering rack. In the meantime, I have replaced all front springs, shocks, lower balljoints, tie rod ends etc. Knock was still there, although rather dampend. Then, recently, car knocked around everywhere, including when you killed the motor. Decided to get ED steering rack (doesnt have bushes in it like the EA, so fluid wont **** it up) put it in tonight, and guess what? THE KNOCKING IS STILL THERE! And the steering is WAY heavier (is full of fluid, no leaks).....not that I mind too much, i thought the EA was a bit light anyway

So my question is WHAT IS THIS DAMN KNOCKING! I have checked my upper balljoints (seem ok), but thinking it might also be either the sway bar bushes (big maybe) or the castor rods are moving around (another big maybe) These things are the only things left that I have not replaced! I am spending money on shit that aint curing the knock and its a pain in the arse! (i am meant to be buying new tyres tomorrow.......215x15 FALKEN $129 each....mates rates!)

Sorry for the long post

sikEA

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 21:49   #2 (permalink)
Martin

Could be the engine mounts :)
Old 03-20-2002, 08:18   #3 (permalink)
AcidBurns

Re: .

Martin, you read my mind... :)
Old 03-20-2002, 10:09   #4 (permalink)
jsantas

Knocking Etc

Just my 20cents worth. Same sort of problems with my ea but i didnt change the rack. did the mounts everything. Even the Kframe underneath. After doing Kframe. Knocking stopped for about 2 weeks or so. But it's back. I think the car is possesed. So i just put up with it now. Cost me a bloody fortune. Even worse when you lock the steering and reverse or going up or down a driveway. If anyone has a fix let me know. Everything underneath has been undone and redone. Pain in the arse.

Regards
Old 03-20-2002, 16:31   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: Knocking Etc

Also check out the exhaust system as it might be hitting something. There is a bracket from the trannie to the exhaust, check the rubber on this arm.
Old 03-20-2002, 17:27   #6 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

hmmmmm

Thanks guys, we replaced engine mounts a year ago, but they might be rooted again...I'll have a look tomorrow

I dont think its the exhaust, but I'll also check that

K frame....Could be I guess....

Took it to bob jane t mart today when i got my tyres, they put it up on the hoist and couldnt find anything either......its prolly something simple like the upper balljoints or a bush somewhere, I'll just keep replacing shit till it stops

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 17:48   #7 (permalink)
EB XR8 5SPD

Maybe Harmonic Balancer?

get it checked, thatll make a ****ing bad knocking sound all the time if its ****ed
Old 03-20-2002, 17:56   #8 (permalink)
91 EA Spak

Steering rack

I get that knocking sound every now and again. Sounds like its from the front end somewhere. neway I think its the steering rack or something around it.
Old 03-20-2002, 19:47   #9 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

Re: Steering rack

I reckon it could be your engine mounts too. If you replaced them a year ago then they should still be fine but one of them may have come loose.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech