help with my 3.0 DOHC - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 06:24   #1 (permalink)
tonybagadonuts

frown help with my 3.0 DOHC

hello everybody,

i own a 96 mercury sable wagon (LS) with a 3.0 dohc engine. at almost exactly 100,000 miles, a very loud clanking noise has occured, engine has no performance. it almost sound as if someone it banging from the inside to get out with a hammer. i have been told it threw a "lower connecting rod" but it has NOT been taken apart as of yet. does anybody have any info on this engine, or this condition, or both? its really not drivable, so i cant take it around to places without a tow. any help would be appreciated, thanks

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2003, 10:28   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like one of the big-end bearings has gone. The sump will need to come off to confirm, remedial action is a crankshaft regrind/replace and new set of crank bearings. Once the labour is totted up, may turn out cheaper to fit a replacement (used or recon) engine.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:32   #3 (permalink)
tonybagadonuts

yes, so i have been told, a good friend with a local shop has quoted me 1300.00 including labor for a used one. by the way..any reason why this might happen? i have taken care of the car, but i did buy it as an "off lease" with 36,000 so i dont know about how it was taken care of before.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:40   #4 (permalink)

Leased cars tend to get hammered mercilessly, no amount of TLC after this can make up for neglect in the first few years.
Lubrication failure due to blocked oil galleries or tired oil pump are the primary causes.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:58   #5 (permalink)
tonybagadonuts

Thank you for your response on that, I will never buy a off- lease vehicle again that's for sure. Does this commonly happen on these vehicles/engines, or is this an isolated incident? Do you in your professional opinion feel that 1300 for a used, say 50,000 mile engine is a good deal?
Thanks in advance
Tony
Old 05-01-2003, 12:52   #6 (permalink)

You dont say what '1300' you are referring to. I'm in the UK, where second-hand 3.0 engine isn't available as yet , but a used 2.5 Duratec you'd be looking at about 600-800 Sterling fitted, depending on mileage and where you went of course.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:56   #7 (permalink)
tonybagadonuts

1300.00 dollars, sorry, i am in NY. i dont know what that converts into pounds. do you feel this is just an isolated incident, or have you heard of such things?
Old 05-01-2003, 13:11   #8 (permalink)

Works out about right, money-wise. As I say, the engine is pretty much unknown in this country, and as such I'm unable to confirm if this is a known concern or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech