Help My Gas is playing up!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2004, 18:10   #1 (permalink)

Help My Gas is playing up!!

Its not real bad its just enough to make me want to fix it
any way i gotta 89 EA GL on straight gas
and lately it has been playing up
on some cold starts when idling it will drop revs and nearly stall the pick up again but is is really quick at doing it, it sounds like your turning the key off and back on again
and usually when its been going and is warm it takes no more than a flick on the key to start it but today i stopped turned it off came back 20 mins later and it started up fine then died again on the second try but after that i had to open the throttle while starting to get it going then when i took off it needed **** all throttle opening to get moving
im just worried that when i need the car it will shit out
p.s The gas system is an Impco 300A Carb, Regulator and lockoff and Aber/Manchester Tank
the carb is on a CFI manifold

Also when i pulled up at home today i had a sniff at the exhaust and instead of a nice sweet smell it burnt the inside of my nostrils from the fumes
Thanks in advance
89Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
heard it before!

Re: Help My Gas is playing up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Falcon
p.s The gas system is an Impco 300A Carb, Regulator and lockoff and Aber/Manchester Tank
the carb is on a CFI manifold

Also when i pulled up at home today i had a sniff at the exhaust and instead of a nice sweet smell it burnt the inside of my nostrils from the fumes
Thanks in advance

unusual for an impco to give trouble so i will ask the gas CONVERTER brand??

its possible that yo have a wax build up on the hinge of the high pressure seat in the converter or even a damaged seat in the converter and flooding/ running rich
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 23:52   #3 (permalink)

how old r ur leads spark plugs??
has converter been serviced recently??
like deankdx said u might have wax build up, i had this prob on our tickford dual fuel setup in the ef and so my dad undid the service plug at the bottom of the converter and let all the wax run out, p.s. if u do this just warm her up so the wax runs nicely.
elford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 00:45   #4 (permalink)

Hi
Convertor is Impco as well
and the plugs and leads are about 2 weeks old (Leads are Designed for LPG)
and the convertor is self draining but i pull the bung out every month just in case the wax has some how built up.
but i think i have nailed it because i got back to my mums house just after posting my last message and i heard a sort of a rattling,whistling noise so i opened the bonnet and the sound was coming from the carb and i think i may have a tear in my diaphragm which is letting air through and giving a false meter of gas. but i think i know what may have caused it. a couple of weeks ago i was revving her up at home and while it was sitting at idle i whacked the throttle wide open and she let out a tremendous BANG and a flame shot out underneath the backfire deflector.
i have since done the timing, plugs & leads so it shouldnt go bang again but i think the backfire may have put a very small tear in the diaphragm which will have gotten worse & worse as i have been going to work and back each day.
i dunno
wat do ya reckon?
cheers
Dan
Old 12-27-2004, 16:15   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Falcon
tremendous BANG and a flame shot out underneath the backfire deflector.
i have since done the timing, plugs & leads so it shouldnt go bang again but i think the backfire may have put a very small tear in the diaphragm which will have gotten worse & worse as i have been going to work and back each day.
i dunno
wat do ya reckon?
cheers
Dan
never seen a 300 A not working personally but i've heard they can play up so what yo say may be possible
when my car backfired it blew a hose off somewhere and bent the butterfly in the carby, just something to check. i've got no other ideas
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 18:27   #6 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

when it backfired it could of damaged the mixxer.. bent it or any thing ...
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 22:02   #7 (permalink)

Yeah but it was the carb/mixer that was making the funny noise so im pretty sure thats what it is but it didn't start playing up till a while after the back fire but any way im gunna get my boss to ring thru and get a full carby kit tomorrow the only thing that pisses me off is the price. i cant believe something so old (not neccesarily outdated) can cost so much!!
never mind there is no other way around it so no use complaining aye?
Old 12-27-2004, 22:31   #8 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

The kits for the mixers are nearly the same cost as a new mixer.. id recomend u check every thing out properly first...
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech