HELP!!! No Oil Pressure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2005, 02:59   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kellyville, Sydney
Age: 29
Posts: 66
HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

Hey anyone can help please..

Have a 4.0L XR6 and on the way home tonight the oil pressure dropped to zero and then the oil light came on.. and the head became very tappy..
i instantly turned the car off and got a tow home..

Anyone tell me the prob i think i have to get a new oil pump
any suggestions?
anyone know how much they cost?
Is it worth getting an aftermarket one or getting genuine ford?


it has to be done tomorrow.. have a 3hr drive on thursday
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-01-2005, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kellyville, Sydney
Age: 29
Posts: 66
Re: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

Umm yea thanks for your help guys.. pffft

Anyways for All of you that actually care.. it was my oil pump drive shaft and the external gears.. a common problem with series 1 au's apparently..
well according to ford anyhow..

i initially thought it was just the gear on the pump drive.. it was shredded.. ok.. the motor has to be lifted up bout 12inches or so.. the sub frame has to be dropped and the sump has to come off to do this..
mechanic will charge around $600 labour.. which is what i thought i was up for.. PLUS $180 for an aftermarket oil pump which is what i wanted.. (genuine ford oil pump is $384)

All was good and well until i looked up inside the block and saw the actually drive shaft gear aswell had been shredded that also needed replacing.. the part from ford is about $100 bucks..
the radiator has to come out.. the timing chain and all the front of the motor has to come to do be able to do this..
which is what happened to me.. looking at another $400 o $500 labour..

All in all i had the 2 gears, oil pump.. and oil pump drive shaft replaced

the car was off the road for 4 days and cost me about $400
If you take it to a ford dealer or mechanic you wont see much change out of about $1200 bucks for parts and labour..

hopefully this helps someone..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
Tza
Registered User
 
Tza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NZ
Posts: 99
Re: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

do all cars have wee inherent problems with each model? or just Fords?
Tza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:47   #4 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V
 
johnydep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: On the coast
Posts: 562
Re: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Umm yea thanks for your help guys.. pffft

Anyways for All of you that actually care.. it was my oil pump drive shaft and the external gears.. a common problem with series 1 au's apparently..
well according to ford anyhow..

i initially thought it was just the gear on the pump drive.. it was shredded.. ok.. the motor has to be lifted up bout 12inches or so.. the sub frame has to be dropped and the sump has to come off to do this..
mechanic will charge around $600 labour.. which is what i thought i was up for.. PLUS $180 for an aftermarket oil pump which is what i wanted.. (genuine ford oil pump is $384)

All was good and well until i looked up inside the block and saw the actually drive shaft gear aswell had been shredded that also needed replacing.. the part from ford is about $100 bucks..
the radiator has to come out.. the timing chain and all the front of the motor has to come to do be able to do this..
which is what happened to me.. looking at another $400 o $500 labour..

All in all i had the 2 gears, oil pump.. and oil pump drive shaft replaced

the car was off the road for 4 days and cost me about $400
If you take it to a ford dealer or mechanic you wont see much change out of about $1200 bucks for parts and labour..

hopefully this helps someone..
That $1200 charge is more like a Ford Dealer price, I asked my local mechanic & he reckons it should cost under a grand.

Did you find out why so much damage to the pump & pump drive?

I know a few guys with series one's that have had no engine problems, and they drive thier cars very hard. They have had trans & diff problems though.

Could it have been your oil grade, type or oil change intervals?
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 23:53   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kellyville, Sydney
Age: 29
Posts: 66
Re: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
That $1200 charge is more like a Ford Dealer price, I asked my local mechanic & he reckons it should cost under a grand.

Did you find out why so much damage to the pump & pump drive?

I know a few guys with series one's that have had no engine problems, and they drive thier cars very hard. They have had trans & diff problems though.

Could it have been your oil grade, type or oil change intervals?
Im not sure of why so much damage.. i use 10w/30 penrite oil and i change it every 5000 to 7000km's so i doubt its oil or change intervals..
i do drive my car resonably hard but i dont punish it as such.. i let the car idle for about 5mins before i drive it and when i drive it i grandma style it for another 10mins before i start to sink the boot in.. and i grandma it and let it idle down for 5mins after every drive..
and even then its not constantly high revs or burnouts..

so yea im pretty sure my driving style or basic maintenance of the car isnt the problem with them..
but according to ford and my mechanics they both seem to have big problems with pump drives in the au's
and my mechanic also said that the new gen 3 chev v8's have general bottom end troubles aswell.. and in agreeance with this my mate has a Vy ss ute only just ticked over 10,000k's and his bottom end is knocky and in need or a rebuild..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:31   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Townsville
Age: 41
Posts: 1,212
Re: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

Check the type of oil u using. May b too thin like water and the oil pump gear cavitated and shattered. Just guessing. I normally check what bearing and bore clearances of the engine b4 buying oil. Small clearance use 10W30 but big clearances use 20W50. U'd think an XR6 would have small clearances. What model is ur XR6 ???
__________________
regards
Stephen
clevo400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kellyville, Sydney
Age: 29
Posts: 66
Re: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

hey,
My model is an AU XR6 series 1

The oil recommended by ford is 5w/30 (even says it on the oil cap)
but i was getting oil surge and my mechanic said to use either 10w/30
or 15w/30 to prevent this.. so i used 10w/30 and no oil surge..

so yea it seems to be alright for now..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 14:20   #8 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V
 
johnydep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: On the coast
Posts: 562
Re: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevo400
Check the type of oil u using. May b too thin like water and the oil pump gear cavitated and shattered. Just guessing. I normally check what bearing and bore clearances of the engine b4 buying oil. Small clearance use 10W30 but big clearances use 20W50. U'd think an XR6 would have small clearances. What model is ur XR6 ???
10W30 is fine for his engine.
The mention of cavitation has made me think though, if the oil level is to high the oil will aerate & cavitate. The cavitation can cause more damage than running an engine slightly low on oil.

When the oil level is on the full mark cold, it will rise significantly after a 20 - 30km drive, oil expands with heat.
Having the oil level slightly under the full mark will cause no harm at all, some dip sticks even have two marks & want the oil level any were between the two marks.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech

Related Reading: HELP!!! No Oil Pressure


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't find oil pressure sensor on 89 cougar finkwe Mercury Cougar Forum 0 12-14-2004 21:47
XE ESP Oil pressure fluctuation Palmer Cleveland Tech 11 12-06-2004 14:03
1993 F-150 Oil Pressure cmg Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel 3 05-21-2004 02:53
1995 Contour - Low Oil Pressure after Head Gasket replaced BeoWolfe Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar 1 04-29-2004 07:42
AU low oil pressure alarm cs123 Audio And Security 13 08-24-2003 01:04

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:36.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.