Ford Forums banner

HELPPPPPPP Tensioner Question EF2

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MustangNicko 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Im doing the head gasket on my EF2 fairmont ghia (EL XR6 engine... dont ask) at the moment and i have a few questions about the timing chain tensioner. The head came off without any worries. Put it at TDC compression stroke, unbolted the exhaust/inlet manifolds, removed the power steering pump, removed the rocker cover then cable tied the sproket to the chain in 2 places, then took off the rocker gear. I took out the cam using a lever in the sproket, removing the bolt, pulling the sproket towards the front and pulling out the cam. Now the question about the tensioner...
Im a bit confused about how it all works. Ive taken the head off and i was wondering if i can just put it back on without playing with the tensioner at all?? I was thinking that if it came off without playing with it why cant it go back on the same way? Ohh and by the way, curiosity got to me and i pulled out the tensioner plug, with the retainer still on it, could this screw anything up?

Thanks
Nick

#3 ·
I dont know myself but I do know that we must use an allen key to turn the tensioner anti clockwise to release cam tension and when it is installed clockwise to lock it ...but dont take my word for it some one else has to know exactly it may be the other way around clockwise to release and anti to retension it...lol dont trust me but...

#4 ·
useless said:
I dont know myself but I do know that we must use an allen key to turn the tensioner anti clockwise to release cam tension and when it is installed clockwise to lock it ...but dont take my word for it some one else has to know exactly it may be the other way around clockwise to release and anti to retension it...lol dont trust me but...
But i didnt have to turn anything to pull the cam off.... i didnt touch the tensioner. So my question is... putting it back together will i have to "re-tension" something i didnt "de-tention"????? COMMON SOXX WHERE ARE YA??!! lol

#5 ·
This seems to be a common issue at the moment, so I though I would share everything I know about these little buggers...

Here is what my manual says about removing the tensioner:
- Hold outer with suitable tool, remove the centre plug from the retainer
- Insert allen key (cant remember size) into the centre (it will lock in place). Push inwards compressing the spring and turn clockwise into the locked position
- Once locked into position, remove the outer part of the retainer and pull the tensioner out with pliers

Installation is the reverse. In a nutshell this is what you do.
Push the tensioner back in, refit the outer retainer, unlock the tensioner with the allen key (it will spring open putting pressure on the chain), then insert the centre of the retainer.

If you have removed the retainer, you should be able to just compressed it again (in your hand) and lock the allen key. Then you should be able to install it normally. I am not sure if you should swap cams without doing this. I did, and it was easy, but I remember someone (soxx i think?) saying that if you dont the tensioner will fully release when you take the cam out and there will be too much pressure on the chain when you fit it back together and you risk snapping one of the chain guides.

hope some of this helps. Just make sure it all looks right when it goes back together. I have seen and heard of a couple of engines giving up with tensioner related issues.

#7 ·
Yeah, I did to. But I think what soxx (sorry soxx if it was not you) was saying is that when given the chance with a loose chain, the tensioner will fully extend, and then when you put the cam back in the tensioner will be locked in a position that is further out that it was before. This puts extra strain on the chain guides which can then snap and cause all sorts of grief.

When I put my cam back in, the chain did not feel overtight so I didnt worry about it. Might pay to be safe and lock/release the tensioner when you are removing/installing the cam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.