Home Made Cold Air Intake! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2003, 17:07   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Lightbulb Home Made Cold Air Intake!

The best cold air intake I have ever come across and I made it my self, very simple and cheap but you must have a pod filter, I have some pics below so you get the idea! It works sooooo well!

Let me know what you think!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/faacaca6.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/faacac98.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0/faacac93.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/faacac7c.jpg
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2003, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Re: Home Made Cold Air Intake!

Thats a good concept - aint gonna get much colder air from anywhere else. The only critisism I have is that it'll definitly get torn off the way it is on a lowered car. Macca's driveways seem to be made to bash the front end of cars. The way that 'can' (sorry best word I could think of) is made it wouldnt be a problem if you had to drive through some deep water as it wouldn't create a vacumn in the pipe to start sucking up water.

I did a cold air intake of sorts at a drag race meet we had once. It was simply the plastic peice of the headlight with the lens and reflector removed and a angled peice of 65mm pmc pipe pop riveted onto the back of it. The hole for the main headlight it just about the right size. The rubber flex pipe on the MPI manifold simply pushed into the PVC pipe. It worked extremely well. It tok advantage of taking in slightly cooler air and lso being right in the highest pressure point and the way the scoop was it would have created a bit of boost (well less vacumnin the manifold). The speed density system of the 6 would have registered the changes and pumped more fuel into the donk to suit.

There does't seem to be many places that you can draw cold air from on an E-Series
Old 11-01-2003, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

roll Re: Home Made Cold Air Intake!

Ya I understand,

Seem to be fine going through Macas Drive Thru's etc,

But seriously before the cold air intake when just the pod filter was there I thought "Ya ok it made a fair bit of difference" and the when I put that intake mod in, It was unbelivable it pulls soooo hard now and so loud. It gets revs up lots higher, I would recomend this mod for sure.

One prob would I get in shit if cops saw this???
Old 11-01-2003, 17:34   #4 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Not for the intake as such, unless they decided it hung too low. the pod filter in itself is actually illegal.

Its a damn good idea though, well done for giving it a try!

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 17:36   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

The biggest reason it'll go better with your setup is the cold air. Cold air is denser (more air for a given amount of volume) and the car can work this out fro the air temp sensor and adjust its fueling. Ever notice on frosty mornings the car goes way better than a stinkin hot day? Same principle. With just the pod filter it will have been taking air from just behind the radiator (hotter than any hot day would ever be.)

About the cops - I have no idea Generally if you aren't doing anything stupid they wont bother you. But then again it is pretty noticible.
Old 11-01-2003, 17:38   #6 (permalink)
cArSiK

that is a mad idea but like NZ said it would be interesting to see how much water it scooped up going threw puddles/rain....

Last edited by cArSiK; 11-01-2003 at 17:41.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 17:41   #7 (permalink)
.au member

wow, a very novel approach there! congrats on some serious igenuity!

Just regarding any police problems, only one I can see they might have an issue with would be your ground clearance, as well as the fact hat if the pipe were to be broken, it could fall off and either get stuck in your underbody or just left on the road. How have you got it attached? Put a few brackets around it to make it very secure and it shouldn't be a problem.

For CAI's on E series (at least an EF anyway), you can go through brake ducts, or even through the bonnet (use XR bonnet vents and a pod filter in your airbox) - the only problem with pod filters is that unless they're setup properly they can result in sucking in more hot air than old - which is not what you want! Good idea covering it like you have, ideally you probably could have left the airbox in and put the pod inside that (it can be done, and that way you get snorkel inflow as well), but hey - if you're happy with it that's all that matters!

Btw, what brand of pod do you have?
back2thefutura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 17:46   #8 (permalink)
.au member

oh, and just on the pod filters being illegal - they're not actually illegal themselves, but if you want to pass roadworthy or a police check of your engine bay, you will need to put back in the factory air intake (i.e. airbox and snorkel). It's quite ok to have the pod in the airbox itself, at least in NSW it is anyway.
back2thefutura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 17:56   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Its a K&N Pod Filter.
Old 11-01-2003, 18:01   #10 (permalink)
2.77 is a tall ratio :S

great idea!
What did you use to surrond the pod? Also if the ground clearance or scooping up water was such a big problem couldn't you just tuck it into bumper somewhere a bit higher? I've got a mate who needs a new cold air intake for his pod and I think this is a great option!
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech