How to Change to Thermofans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 01:27   #1 (permalink)
GUN.40L

How to Change to Thermofans

hi im just wondering if there is a 'how to' or any informtaion on how i can go about doing this Thermofans conversion to my EB. I tried searching but came up with no relevant information. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2004, 05:37   #2 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Re: How to Change to Thermofans

Have a look at the home page and the Sponsors and BPT (Batten Performance). They sell a kit of wiring, the thermoswitches etc and complete "how to" instructions.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 15:15   #3 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

things you will need are:

Thermo fans (ef/el) $120
Thermo Switch ($30 - $50)
Couple of relays $5

36mm spanner
screw driver

Wiring is not that hard you just need a ingnion wire to tap into, then to your thermo switch, to the relays to power no the fans.

There are a couple of diffrent thermo switches. There are ones you can tap into you thermostat housing or radiator. There is also one that you can put into your top radiator hose (Davies Crag - this is the one I am using with no problems, just need to use to hose clamps and a bit of silicone to seal it).

Now jam the screwdriver into the pulley bolts and put the 36mm spanner on and rotate toward the passanger side of the car (left hand thread). once off pull off the shroud and the fan. The thermo fans will just drop straight in and bolt up to your radiator, just make sure you get the bolts with the fans.

Plug it all in and turn the key.

Very good conversion to do. You will find the engine will have a bit more rev.

Let us know how you go.
Old 06-24-2004, 17:24   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Yup thats about all there is to it, have done my car, and smut's car for him as well.

I use a big 35amp + wire direct solder into the main feed wire out the back of the alternator (this is how battens are set up).

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
GUN.40L

that sounds pretty straight foward thanks guys, so this thermo switch, can i get it off the ef/el too or do i buy that new from a spare parts place? i guess once you have the wiring infront of you it will be easier. will any igntition wire work? also i heard something baout an extra wire to the ecu, is this true? and the relays, do i wire these up as any other relay. i.e spotlights relay??? Again thanks gor your help guys (y)
Old 06-25-2004, 00:22   #6 (permalink)
GUN.40L

That sounds pretty straight foward thanks guys, so this thermo switch, can i get it off the ef/el too or do i buy that new from a spare parts place? i guess once you have the wiring infront of you it will be easier. will any igntition wire work? (The fans are always on when the car is on?) Also i heard something about an extra wire to the ecu, is this true? and the relays, do i wire these up as any other relay. i.e spotlights relay??? Again thanks for your help guys
Old 06-25-2004, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

the thermo switch on the ef/el is actually controlled by the ECU, so unless you want to upgrade that, otherwise the davies craig copper sensor in the top top radiator hose is the best way.

well any igntion wire as a trigger wire is fine, so when the car is turned off so are the fans, i use the big wire for feed voltage direct of the alternator. the fans will only be on when the thermo swirch mentioned above reaches the temp you have set it at (yes they are adjustable).

The relays are wired same as any spotlight relay for whats its worth.

wiring is as follows:
igntion wire runs to thermo switch, when thermo switch gets to set temp, it then kicks power to the relays as a trigger wire, the relays then kick on using the BIG volatge feed wire i mentioned, and thus the thermos come to life.

I have 3 relays: 1 for each fan as per normal, and 1 from the a/c wire as a trigger to run just 1 fan when a/c is on to give air flow across the condensor.

they are all mounted on a plate that screws to the passenger headlight mounting point near the air box.

any questions :0)

Jason

Old 06-25-2004, 00:48   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I might have a wiring set up to run EL thermos for sale in a few weeks.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:02   #9 (permalink)

I did a pretty good thread about it ago i think, it has links to other good info in there, just make sure the fan has enough clearence from the radiator and water pump pully, or you will end up drilling a hole in the radiator or worse.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:09   #10 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

good point 6pac, the radiator could possibly have the attaching brackets on it if your lucky, all but the one were the bottom hose goes, well smut was lucky enough when we did his to have a radiator like that, took 90% of the fitting woes out of the equation.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech