Ford Forums banner

How do I get more power for EF XR6 $1000?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Black S 
#1 ·
I'm new to this board and not experienced in modifying cars. I have been told by a couple of people that extractors and 2.5inch exhaust would give my XR6 Ef about 180KW. Is this true. What is the best mods for around $1000 and the approx power increase?
Help greatly appreciated.
AndrewP

#2 ·
hi andrew
the best way to spend your thousand dollars is a good set of extrators and a good exhaust system also get rid off the horse shoe plastic intake off the motor and replace it with a stainless steal mandrell bend pipe or go and buy a EL intake tube and run it on premium unleaded that helps also

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply John. Do you know the best place to go to get that stuff fitted professionally and for as good a value as possible(Im in the Sydney and Central Coast area). If not what brand of extractors would be the best and also brand(maker) of the exhaust. Would 2.5inch be the most preferable? Do you know roughly what power increase I would get?
Regards AndrewP

#7 ·
I agree with blown, I have a set of H.M. Headers, sounds like the old XU1 Torana's. Mine has a set with 2.5in straight through system, H.M. quote 15kw at the wheels with system, 10kw without system, that equates to about 21kw at the flywheel, I felt all of it. I also added a K&N, bigger inlet and a Unichip. On the dyno it produces 138kw at the wheels, about 200kw or so at the flywheel.

G
#8 ·
Guys,

Now that you have gone for the headers and 21/2" how much drone do you notice in the cabin?

I have had a Walker 21/2" sports system fitted up (no extractors) for a while but the family couldn't handle the in-cab noise so had to ditch.

Not convinced the guy who did it really knew his stuff so will try someone else next time and maybe go for a custom job.

#10 ·
i know agreat place to get them fitted but youll have to pay for it. Hi Tech mufflers in darlinghurst is good but dear but if you want good workmanship youll have to pay for it i have had heaps of work done by Hitech i know the guy who runs it and he is very good with his exhausts

#11 ·
Hi,

I got a Genie Stainless System on my car (its an 8 so its more expensive)

Got the extractors, and a 2.5" mandrel bend exhuast, with 1 "turbo flow" muffler. it cost me $1000 (this was 2.5 years ago though)

If you only want mild steel it will be a lot cheaper. (Pacemakers extractors for a 6 are about $500 retail, or about $200 if you get them from Mick (v8wagon on this forum)

:)
Kelli S
Green ED XR8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.