How do I stop coil lead arcing? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
Funkyeah

Thumbs up How do I stop coil lead arcing?

Hi,
my ute was running like a bucket of puss, more so than ever I had an idea that it might have been electrical but wasnt 100% sure. One night when I couldnt take it anymore I started the ol girl at about 10:45 pm no lights and it was a virtual christmas tree under the hood it was arcing everywhere. On top of the rocker cover on the dizzy cap and between the coil and the dizzy on the dipstick. I changed the coil lead to a new one and the problem still exists somewhat; if you look under bonnet it still arks spasmodically. So to try and remedy that I pulled dipstick housing out and wrapped some insulation tape around it and did the same on the brand new coil lead, unfortunatley the problem still exists and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to eliminate it almost or at least control it better? The ute is an XH falcon Longreach with electroninc ignition but no coilpacks. 1997 model automatic. Ive just started using Dieelectric grease on spakplug boots, would this help if i smeared it on coil lead boots and dizzy boots as well? Have a Happy New Year Guys and Gals
JD over and out.
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 00:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: How do I stop coil lead arcing?

you might have to get thicker leeds, get 10mm instead of 8mm.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:08   #3 (permalink)

have a look for cracks in your dissy cap. if not sure replace cap leads and rotor button not dear anyway,
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:08   #4 (permalink)
Funkyeah

Thanks Guys. I have replaced the rotor cap and dizzy allready and the plug leads. But its still arcing from the coil side, its basically doing it from around the top of the boot facing away from the coil and thats where I wrapped it tightly with Insulation tape. If I can fix this the car is going to run like a baby for the first time since ive had the ute. I think the leads Ive got are 10 mm so what do I do in that case?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech