Ford Forums banner

How do you install a catch can?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  phibz 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to install a catch can on a ED XR6 (naturally aspirated)? Info and pics on what hoses to hook up or block whould be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

#2 ·
I expect you want to catch oil from your crankcase breather. It is meant to go back into the motor and the oil vapour is burnt by the engine. I suspect what you are trying to do will be illegal, too. I don't want to see anyone get pinched for such things. Thats what Commodores and Sylvias were invented for.

#3 ·
oldwagon said:
I expect you want to catch oil from your crankcase breather. It is meant to go back into the motor and the oil vapour is burnt by the engine. I suspect what you are trying to do will be illegal, too. I don't want to see anyone get pinched for such things. Thats what Commodores and Sylvias were invented for.
Explain further?Why is it illegal?

#6 ·
Why do you need a catch can? If the motor is producing that much blow-by to necessitate a catch can perhaps you should consider rebuilding the motor! All gasses produced by the engine are supposed to be burnt in the engine and then cleaned up with the catylst in the exhaust. I think catch cans are OK for racing cars, though.

#7 ·
Crankcase ventilation is via the valve in the rocker cover directly to the intake manifold, and should be drawn back into the engine and reburnt. Unfortunately if you have a lot of blow by ( sad rings, really high boost ) you get a build up of oil in the intake manifold as the oil vapour condenses. If you install the catch can immediately below the intake manifold, the blow by leaves the rocker cover and goes into the catch can and the vapour will be drawn into the intake manifold, and the condensed vapour stays in the bottom of the catch can as oil.
Provided there are no leaks, all vapour should return and burn, and the excess oil can removed and disposed of from the catch can as necessary.
This in no way bypasses any emissions setup on the vehicle. It just prevents oil build up in the intake of a vehicle which might be in need of a rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.