Ford Forums banner

!! I6 FAQ !! <--- Newbie's Look Here

26K views 83 replies 29 participants last post by  Baz 
#1 · (Edited)
OHC I6 FAQ

To help the newbies please add a question and an answer. I did a few to get things started.

Q) How do i install my Pacemaker PH4480 extractors?
A) From pacemaker website. go there for pics
• Unbolt and remove catalytic converter from vehicle, remove heat shields and cut engine and intermediate pipes (fig. 1).
• Unbolt and discard standard exhaust manifold
• Unbolt lower bolt in steering shaft, and just loosen upper bolt so that the steering shaft can slide up and off of the steering rack
• Place sealant onto gasket and place gasket and all lower bolts onto cylinder head face, and drop header into position and tighten up
• Replace steering shaft and refit and tighten bolts
• Using the separate flange supplied with the product, bolt up to rear of Header and position cat converter into place, ensuring adequate clearance from surrounding body, floor, pan, etc.
• Return cut intermediate pipe and re-bolt to existing flange, aligning other end to the rear of cat converter (fig 2).
• Weld new assembly sufficiently enough to be handled then remove cat converter to completely weld.
• Return to vehicle and refit using gaskets to finish.

Q) How much power can my gear box handle?

A) This all depends on how the vehicle is driven, and how much traction it has. A T5 may last forever with 350kw if driven carefully, without any clutch dumps and/or sudden full throttle burst in low gears.
However it may be damaged quite easily with only 200kw if you are into the habit of 5000rpm clutch dumps at the drag strip with a 1600kg car and slicks.

In short, a T5 in good condition should be ok for up to 250kw even with regular hard use.

Q) How do i dial in a cam?
A) Mined by me written by Soxx

First thing we need to establish is whether the harmonic balancer is showing true TDC, as it is quite common for the outer ring to slip with age.
There are several methods for finding TDC, but this is probably the easiest way for a beginner.
Screw a bolt into number 1 spark plug hole with the end of it protruding (say) 10mm down the bore.
Wind the engine over by hand (gently) until the piston hits the bolt. Make a mark on the harmonic balancer at the TDC indicator. Now wind the engine over backwards until the piston hits the bolt again. Make another mark on the harmonic balancer. Now, the point exactly between the 2 marks you just made on the balancer is true TDC, make another 3rd mark, this may be on top of the mark which is already in the balancer. Simple.

Now that we have found TDC we can move onto adjusting the cam.

You will need a dial indicator for this, and you also need to know (from the cam grinder) the 'lift @ TDC' figure, which might be (say) 0.040".

You will need to set up the clock so it measures the movement of number 1 intake valve, this is very critical and accuracy is important here.
Adjust the clock so it reads zero when the valve is closed, slowly wind over the engine by hand until you reach TDC. The valve should have started opening and you will have a reading of 0.030" to 0.050" depending on how close the cam is set up to ideal.
If it's perfect straight away, you don't need to go any further.
If it's out by more than 0.001" either way, you will need to move the cam either by the use of the your newly fitted vernier gear.

Q) how much should i lower my car?
A) The e series sits higher at the back. and higher at front right to compensate for the driver. If you have LPG or a heavy stereo in the boot it will be a little leveler. Also dont forget how much fuel you have will change things s fair bit. Some FF mebers run lows in the front and super lows in the rear to level it out.

Tickford 25mm
Kings L 30mm
Lovells L 25-45mm
Whiteline L 50mm
Whiteline SL 60mm
Kings SL 50-60mm
Lovells SL 45-65mm
Lovells XSL used only on the rear.
Kings UL ?

Note: ALWAYS check with your insurance as lowering your car too much (although within legal limits) may void your insurance.

Q) Whats involved to enlarge the cat to 2.5"
A) cut off the front and rear pipe, replace with 2.5" pipe and flanges. weld it together.

Q) Which exhaust?
A) Any 2.5” exhaust with a straight through muffler. Two mufflers if you want it quiet. Redback and Lukey provide both of these off the shelf and are recommended. Redback and lukey differ in price and sound. very similar in performance.

Q) How do i stop my exhaust from droning?
A) Add a resonator/hotdog or muffler where the rear resonator used to be (beside the spare wheel well). Sometimes a big flashy tip can be causing the drone.

Q) Should I get a chip?
A) Thanks Casper:
YES! I can confidently say that either a Chiptorque or unichip is worth the money.

Q) Will my E* falcon beat my mates V* Commodore?
A) The commodore has a better first gear so will get off the line faster. Assuming same diff ratio. So it depends how far you are racing as to weather you will catch up or not. Upgrade your diff if you want to show them your arse right from the start.

Q) Who's doing a 14 sec or better 1/4 mile with a NA OHC I6
A)
BMock 14.01 @ 99.08 mph
Soxx: 14.498 @ 96.38mph
Rollin: 14.505 @ 152.46km/h ~95.28mph
Hamo: 14.86 @ 93.44mph
should you be on this list? TELL US!

Q) Which extractors?
A) The three most popular are JMM Race, JMM Scavenger and Pacemaker PH4480.
JMM Race: 6-2-1 interference design, mandrel bent, long secondaries. Excellent Performance and Quality but you pay for it.
JMM Scavenger: 6-2-1 interference design, press bent. Great performance and Quality.
Pacemaker PH4480: 6-3-1 tuned length design, mandrel bent. Great performance and Great price.

Q) Which cat?
A) Modify any EA - AU model cat with 2.5” inlet and 2.5” outlet. These cats are better than most aftermarket high flow cats costing twice as much.

Q) Should I get a bigger throttle body or get mine enlarged by 3mm?
A) If you had to ask you can not afford it. Spend your money else where its not worth the gain.

Q) Air box to throttle body?
A) EF to BA, the newer the model the better it flows. Or you can use a 3” mandrel bent pipe for best results. Worthwhile replacement on EF only.

Q) Air box lid?
A) The lower half is the same from EF – AU. EF lid flows the best. Get a metal trumpet off the AU XR8 for even better flow. You can also modify your au lid with some stormwater pipe for better flow.

Q) Snorkel?
A) EF – AU use AU XR8, stock one is quite restrictive. Also can run a 3” flexible pipe through the guard and to the front bumper. EA – ED use XH ute snorkel. Can cut a hole in your bonnet and attach a scoop too. SS inductions also have a kit but most FF members agree that’s its over priced and insignificantly better than the other options.

Q) K&N air filter?
A) not worth it unless your old one is shagged. Even then Autospeed.com claim there is an insignificant difference.

Q) Pod Filter?
A) Wank factor? Yes. Otherwise No. The panel filter has a large surface area. Pod filters can be placed in the EF - Au airbox. or get a BA XR6 turbo airbox.

Q) Should I get a reprofiled/regrind cam or billet?
A) Regrind advantages: about 1/3 the price of a billet. Regrind disadvantages: the base circle is smaller therefore there is more valve train loss at high rpm. This is insignificant with a low rpm engine like the I6. Shims are required to pack up the lifters. So don’t forget to add this to the price of the cam. Shims are available from ford spares, about $60 for 12. Your cam grinder will tell you the height of the shims to get, usually 1.2mm. If you gont want to get shims you can use washers.

Q) Can I change the cam myself?
A) If you own a socket set and some spanners then YOU ARE mechanically minded enough to do the swap. You do know what a socket is don’t you?

Q) Valve springs?
A) They can handle … lift. When you change them you should change your valve seals too. Wont take any extra time and they are cheap. New valve seals will stop oil from going into the combustion chamber.

Q) Which cam?
A) What stage it the rest of your engine at?
Stock 0:
Stage 1: exhaust
Stage 2: intake, extractors
Stage 3: ported head
Stage 4: chip

Q) How do I make my Auto stronger?
A) Big transmission cooler, Taxi clutch packs, shift kit.

Q) How do I fit a transmission cooler?
A) Buy the kit from ford or use an old aircon condenser from a truck if your engine has forced induction.

Q) How do I put a shift kit on my Auto?
A) AU just adjust the S5 solenoid. Pre-AU there is an electronic shift kit available, do a search. You can also put and AU S5 solinoid in your pre-AU box. The EMS 8860 can now control your gearbox too.

Do I need bigger fuel injectors?

What diff ratio should I get?

See less See more
#3 ·
Great idea, but quite a few errors.

The JMM race series headers actually have extra long secondaries, not primaries.

Any E series cat will actually do the job once it's modified, the AU ones are no different.

The pod filter is actually the best method, but it needs to be mounted inside the existing EF/EL style air box.

The cost of shims do not add to the cost of a regrind cam, because you can simply use a packet of small washers and use the desired amount between the existing shim and rocker body.

Valves seals do not stop the lifters from tapping. Valves seals stop oil from entering the combustion chamber.

Power will also kill a manual gear box as dumping the clutch at 6000rpm is certainly not good for it.

Rick.

#6 ·
doh
just went there (fordmods) and looked
it is very similar but not that big
come on guys we can make a far more in depth one than them if everyone helps.
other wise i will go to there and help them improve their FAQ

thanks for correcting me soxx
few things i thought the race series had longer primaries too?
Q) why will dumping the clutch at high RPM hurt my car?
A) soxx im sure you can write something funny here.

OHC I6 FAQ

Q) Which extractors?
A) The three most popular are JMM Race, JMM Scavenger and Pacemaker PH4480.
JMM Race: 6-2-1 interference design, mandrel bent, long secondaries. Excellent Performance and Quality but you pay for it.
JMM Scavenger: 6-2-1 interference design, press bent. Great performance and Quality.
Pacemaker PH4480: 6-3-1 tuned length design, mandrel bent. Great performance and Great price.

Q) Should I put the extractors on my self?
A) It’s a bitch of a job.

Q) Which exhaust?
A) Any 2.5” exhaust with a straight through muffler. Two mufflers if you want it quiet. Redback and Lukey provide both of these off the shelf and are recommended.

Q) Which cat?
A) Modify any EA - AU model cat with 2.5” inlet and 2.5” outlet. These cats are better than most aftermarket high flow cats costing twice as much.

Q) Should I get a bigger throttle body or get mine enlarged by 3mm?
A) If you had to ask you can not afford it. Spend your money else where its not worth the gain.

Q) Air box to throttle body?
A) EF to BA, the newer the model the better it flows. Or you can use a 3” mandrel bent pipe for best results. Worthwhile replacement on EF only.

Q) Air box lid?
A) The lower half is the same from EF – AU. EF lid flows the best. Get a metal trumpet off the AU XR8 for even better flow. You can also modify your au lid with some stormwater pipe for better flow.

Q) Snorkel?
A) EF – AU use AU XR8, stock one is quite restrictive. Also can run a 3” flexible pipe through the guard and to the front bumper. EA – ED use XH ute snorkel. Can cut a hole in your bonnet and attach a scoop too. SS inductions also have a kit but most FF members agree that’s its over priced and insignificantly better than the other options.

Q) K&N air filter?
A) not worth it unless your old one is shagged. Even then Autospeed.com claim there is an insignificant difference.

Q) Pod Filter?
A) Wank factor? Yes. Otherwise No. The panel filter has a large surface area. Pod filters can be placed in the EF - Au airbox. or get a BA XR6 turbo airbox.

Q) Should I get a reprofiled/regrind cam or billet?
A) Regrind advantages: about 1/3 the price of a billet. Regrind disadvantages: the base circle is smaller therefore there is more valve train loss at high rpm. This is insignificant with a low rpm engine like the I6. Shims are required to pack up the lifters. So don’t forget to add this to the price of the cam. Shims are available from ford spares, about $60 for 12. Your cam grinder will tell you the height of the shims to get, usually 1.2mm. If you gont want to get shims you can use washers.

Q) Can I change the cam myself?
A) If you own a socket set and some spanners then YOU ARE mechanically minded enough to do the swap. You do know what a socket is don’t you?

Q) Valve springs?
A) They can handle … lift. When you change them you should change your valve seals too. Wont take any extra time and they are cheap. New valve seals will stop oil from going into the combustion chamber.

Q) Which cam?
A) What stage it the rest of your engine at?
Stock 0:
Stage 1: exhaust
Stage 2: intake, extractors
Stage 3: ported head
Stage 4: chip

A) Power won’t kill your gearbox torque will.

Q) How do I make my Auto stronger?
A) Big transmission cooler, Taxi clutch packs, shift kit.

Q) How do I fit a transmission cooler?
A) Buy the kit from ford or use an old aircon condenser from a truck if your engine has forced induction.

Q) How do I put a shift kit on my Auto?
A) AU just adjust the S5 solenoid. Pre-AU there is an electronic shift kit available, do a search. You can also put and AU S5 solinoid in your pre-AU box. The EMS 8860 can now control your gearbox too.

Q) Should I get a chip?
A)

Do I need bigger fuel injectors?

What diff ratio should I get?

How much should I lower my car?

#10 ·
Thanks raptor.

Q) Will my E* falcon beat my mates V* Commodore?
A) The commodore has a better first gear so will get off the line faster. Assuming same diff ratio. So it depends how far you are racing as to weather you will catch up or not. Upgrade your diff if you want to show them your arse right from the start.

#13 ·
anyone done the cat mod before? what's involved?

also.. difference between lukey and redback exhausts? i'm happy with my extractors.. but exhaust droans a bit at 100.. shits me...

thanks,

#15 ·
Q) Whats involved to enlarge the cat to 2.5"
A) cut off the front and rear pipe, replace with 2.5" pipe and flanges. weld it together.

Q) Which exhaust?
A) Any 2.5” exhaust with a straight through muffler. Two mufflers if you want it quiet. Redback and Lukey provide both of these off the shelf and are recommended. Redback and lukey differ in price and sound. very similar in performance.

Q) How do i stop my exhaust from droning?
A) Add a resonator/hotdog or muffler where the rear resonator used to be (beside the spare wheel well). Sometimes a big flashy tip can be causing the drone.

#16 ·
A) The e series sits higher at the back. and higher at front right to compensate for the driver. If you have LPG or a heavy stereo in the boot it will be a little leveler. Also dont forget how much fuel you have will change things s fair bit. Some FF mebers run lows in the front and super lows in the rear to level it out.

Tickford 25mm
Kings L 30mm
Lovells L 25-45mm
Whiteline L 50mm
Whiteline SL 60mm
Kings SL 50-60mm
Lovells SL 45-65mm
Kings UL ?

#17 ·
Con said:

Tickford 25mm
Kings Low 30mm
Lovells L 25-45mm
Whiteline low 50mm
Whiteline super low 60mm
Kings super low 60mm
Lovells SL 45-65mm
A) Note: ALWAYS check with your insurance as lowering your car too much (although within legal limits) may void your insurance.

#18 ·
Q) How do i dial in a cam?
A) From Soxx

First thing we need to establish is whether the harmonic balancer is showing true TDC, as it is quite common for the outer ring to slip with age.
There are several methods for finding TDC, but this is probably the easiest way for a beginner.
Screw a bolt into number 1 spark plug hole with the end of it protruding (say) 10mm down the bore.
Wind the engine over by hand (gently) until the piston hits the bolt. Make a mark on the harmonic balancer at the TDC indicator. Now wind the engine over backwards until the piston hits the bolt again. Make another mark on the harmonic balancer. Now, the point exactly between the 2 marks you just made on the balancer is true TDC, make another 3rd mark, this may be on top of the mark which is already in the balancer. Simple.

Now that we have found TDC we can move onto adjusting the cam.

You will need a dial indicator for this, and you also need to know (from the cam grinder) the 'lift @ TDC' figure, which might be (say) 0.040".

You will need to set up the clock so it measures the movement of number 1 intake valve, this is very critical and accuracy is important here.
Adjust the clock so it reads zero when the valve is closed, slowly wind over the engine by hand until you reach TDC. The valve should have started opening and you will have a reading of 0.030" to 0.050" depending on how close the cam is set up to ideal.
If it's perfect straight away, you don't need to go any further.
If it's out by more than 0.001" either way, you will need to move the cam either by the use of the your newly fitted vernier gear.

#19 ·
Con said:
thanks for correcting me soxx
few things i thought the race series had longer primaries too?
Q) why will dumping the clutch at high RPM hurt my car?
A) soxx im sure you can write something funny here.

A) This all depends on how the vehicle is driven, and how much traction it has. A T5 may last forever with 350kw if driven carefully, without any clutch dumps and/or sudden full throttle burst in low gears.
However it may be damaged quite easily with only 200kw if you are into the habit of 5000rpm clutch dumps at the drag strip with a 1600kg car and slicks.

In short, a T5 in good condition should be ok for up to 250kw even with regular hard use.

Re-word it at will......

Rick.

#20 ·
Q) How do i install my Pacemaker PH4480 extractors?
A) From pacemaker website. go there for pics
• Unbolt and remove catalytic converter from vehicle, remove heat shields and cut engine and intermediate pipes (fig. 1).
• Unbolt and discard standard exhaust manifold
• Unbolt lower bolt in steering shaft, and just loosen upper bolt so that the steering shaft can slide up and off of the steering rack
• Place sealant onto gasket and place gasket and all lower bolts onto cylinder head face, and drop header into position and tighten up
• Replace steering shaft and refit and tighten bolts
• Using the separate flange supplied with the product, bolt up to rear of Header and position cat converter into place, ensuring adequate clearance from surrounding body, floor, pan, etc.
• Return cut intermediate pipe and re-bolt to existing flange, aligning other end to the rear of cat converter (fig 2).
• Weld new assembly sufficiently enough to be handled then remove cat converter to completely weld.
• Return to vehicle and refit using gaskets to finish.

#22 ·
Q) What is SS induction? (whats SS stand for?)
Q) What can make my exhaust sound almost like a V8?
Q) What is the throttle body and what is enlarged by 3mm?
Q) Does the AU XR8 snorkel just go straight onto a stock EF-AU car or is there a bit more worke involved?
Q) How much for a bare metal respray for anycar?
also need these answered...
Will stickers really make my car go faster?
Casper said:
1. What is the meaning of life?
2. Why does my wife look at me funny when I mention cars?
3. I want my car to go faster, how?
4. If I ask my wife are you putting on weight, what will she answer? (I know, this is hazardous to my health)
5. I have a turbo diesel from a ford courier, will it fit my car?
6. The ricer in me wants to know, will a blow off valve make a noise without a turbo?
7. I’ve heard there are these cars called HOLDENS…apparently they are pretty quick in some cases. Why is that?
8. If I take the rev limiter off my car and rev it to 7500rpm, will God keep it in 1 piece?

#23 ·
Also is there any point to lowering cars except for the fact that it looks better... and what is vernier gear?

#24 ·
Super newbie section...
Q) What is SS induction? (whats SS stand for?)
A) SS Inductions is an Australian company that make cold air induction kits and other stuff.

Q) What can make my exhaust sound almost like a V8?
A) A V16

Q) What is the throttle body and what is enlarged by 3mm?
A) The throttle body lets the driver control the amount of air entering the engine. The inside diameter can be enlarged by 3mm for less restriction.

Q) Does the AU XR8 snorkel just go straight onto a stock EF-AU car or is there a bit more work involved?
A) There is one small hole to be drilled if i remember correctly

Q) How much for a bare metal respray for anycar?
A) Ask your spray painter or pannel beater.

Q)Is there any point to lowering cars except for the fact that it looks better.
A) If done correctly it will improve the cars handling and cornering stability, grip, saftey.

Q)Whats is a vernier gear?
A) It is an adjustable cam sprocket. It works in a similar way to vernier calipers hence the name.

A) Not OHC I6 related sorry.

A) She doesn't understand

A) Mod it

4. If I ask my wife are you putting on weight, what will she answer? (I know, this is hazardous to my health)
A) If im slowing you car down to much ill walk..

A) Yes.

6. The ricer in me wants to know, will a blow off valve make a noise without a turbo?
A) Yes. Put it on a supercharged engine.

7. I’ve heard there are these cars called HOLDENS…apparently they are pretty quick in some cases. Why is that?
A) You heard that because a holden driver lied to you.

8. If I take the rev limiter off my car and rev it to 7500rpm, will God keep it in 1 piece?
A) If you were doing it inside the church yes.

#25 ·
:rofl: thanks for clearing some of those up for me
im still wondering if stickers will make my car go faster?
and what i meant Q) What can make my exhaust sound almost like a V8? is what brand/setup will make an I6 sound a lot more gruntier

#26 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by Casper

Answers: (sent via PM by Brendan Mock)
1. The secret meaning of life is 42
2. Women can't be understood
3. It wont go any faster until you give me money !
4. No I'm not pregnant, I'm on the pill !
5. A GT28 turbo isn't the answer to all your power problems.
6. A blow off valve wont work on that :)
7. Every fast holden has a little bit of ford in it.
8. At 7500 rpm there is no god !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.