I6 Starting and Idle problem - FIXED - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2004, 15:05   #1 (permalink)

I6 Starting and Idle problem - FIXED

About a month ago I posted a message about my Starting problem (thread 61492)...

"AU2 4.0L... When cranking, it immediately fires up and goes fast idle as it should (while key in crank position). As soon as I let go of the key the idle drops off and the engine stalls. A second crank and it starts and idles perfectly".

After much work involving ISC valve, throttle body, and base idle, it turned out to be the battery!!!

Yep, the battery failed completely last weekend and after installing a new one the problem is completely fixed. I admit leaving the battery out long enough to reset the computer but I'm thinking maybe the battery volts was too low during cranking to run fuel pump up fast enough. Car was probably starting on residual fuel pressure. Anyway it's fixed now.

So if you have the same problem and the battery is a few years old, try a new one! Mine was almost 4 years old and still seemed to spin the motor ok.

Hey, XR6HP01 how did you get on with your starting problem and service?

Chris.
BluAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech