Ford Forums banner

I6 Starting and Idle problem - FIXED

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BluAU2 
#1 ·
About a month ago I posted a message about my Starting problem (thread 61492)...

"AU2 4.0L... When cranking, it immediately fires up and goes fast idle as it should (while key in crank position). As soon as I let go of the key the idle drops off and the engine stalls. A second crank and it starts and idles perfectly".

After much work involving ISC valve, throttle body, and base idle, it turned out to be the battery!!!

Yep, the battery failed completely last weekend and after installing a new one the problem is completely fixed. I admit leaving the battery out long enough to reset the computer but I'm thinking maybe the battery volts was too low during cranking to run fuel pump up fast enough. Car was probably starting on residual fuel pressure. Anyway it's fixed now.

So if you have the same problem and the battery is a few years old, try a new one! Mine was almost 4 years old and still seemed to spin the motor ok.

Hey, XR6HP01 how did you get on with your starting problem and service?

Chris.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.