Ford Forums banner

I6 Stroker kits

6K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  blueovalxfboy 
#1 ·
Hi guys , i remember reading on here a while ago about someone making a 4.4lt stroker kit for the I6.
Does anyone know who it was, and are these available yet?
Cost, etc.
any help would be appreciated.

#5 ·
I found some guy who said he done his to 4.6l which i found a pretty large increase

I suppose Prostroke would at least know

#6 ·
yeah it was me that was on about the 4.4lt..

i was to do it to my turbo build,,.,in order to reduce the lag, ive opted to make the bitch rev instead

the process involoves offset grinding the crank, with some 6.5 inch rods, now thats all well and good, but with out sleaving the block and adding a spacer,,, no pistons are short enuf, even customs will not do, as the gudgen pin will be too high.

so, i have gone the otherway.

6.27 inch rods, with 60 thou over pistons. then off set grinding the crank to reduce its thow, and installing short stack pistons.

this way the rpm limit is bumped up to 7k easy

and more rpm= more power

cheers.joe.

#9 ·
no idea on power in a reletivly mid n/a build

but i am expecting an extra 25-50 rwkw from the extra 1200rpm in my own apllication.

no-one to my knowledge has done it, so its really untried waters.

as for price.. i'll do mine then work it out, but pleae folks, dont hold ya breath.

i will do it just not with in 3-6 months, it takes a fair bit of cash to develop stuff, i am still going with the n/a i6 kit atm, and i am not rolling in the cash.

but trust me you fellas will be some of the first to know.

goal-300 reliable tame kw from a n/a i6 :)

cheers.joe.

#10 ·
good to hear GM, either that or i will be going down the forced route... keep us in the know!!! i like the sound of what your developing... something out of the ordinary!!! i like!!! :s6:

#15 ·
no no, i am not destroking it.

i am taking x off the crank, and add x to the bores, to keep my 4.0lt capacity, this wont be much but it will help
adding the longer rods will make the biggest difference.

ausxh- the crank girdle would be great, and i am using one myself... a 12mm thick one to be precise.,

why the au has onestandard is beyound me. 7 mains caps that are already beefy enuf as it is, and a inline block. i understand that the length of the bearing tunnel is an issue, but shit, ppl have gotten 600+hp without the need for one, cant see why a 6,000rpm 250kw engine would need one.

cheers.joe.

#17 ·
gm dstroya said:
why the au has onestandard is beyound me. 7 mains caps that are already beefy enuf as it is, and a inline block. i understand that the length of the bearing tunnel is an issue, but shit, ppl have gotten 600+hp without the need for one, cant see why a 6,000rpm 250kw engine would need one.
cheers.joe.
I suspect the freer revving nature of the AU engine is due to the revised crank of actually going back to using only 8 counter weights instead of 12 in the EF-EL (Less rotating mass = smoother at higher rpm). I think to counter the less balance harmonics fitting a stud girdle more then compensates for the extra 4 counter weights.
One thing that bugs me though, i am almost certain that the AU engine puts out more power than the EF-EL engine given the same km's.

Back to the subject of a stroker kit for the 4.0L i'm amazed that it's not more popular than it is. Just like the 353 stroker kits for the 304 holden injected V8's, sure the engine doesn't rev as sweetly but in theory you have alot more torque and mid-range pull. The stroker engines fitted to the 215i commodores made maximum power at only 4800rpm.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,
Gary.

#18 ·
The 5.7litre holden kits are still under square so they can still rev if needed even 383 chev's can rev, like my clevo long rod 351 which will see 7500 safely... occasionally :).
where the 4litre ford is over square to start with, nothing a turbo cant fix.

hope my bable makes a bit of sense as it was my 21st party last night!

#21 ·
qwikcorty said:
The 5.7litre holden kits are still under square so they can still rev if needed even 383 chev's can rev, like my clevo long rod 351 which will see 7500 safely... occasionally :).
where the 4litre ford is over square to start with, nothing a turbo cant fix.

hope my bable makes a bit of sense as it was my 21st party last night!
Yeah your right about that, just checked the bore/storke dimensions and it's 102.0 x 88.0. Well that explains why the 4.4L stroker kit for the 4.0L isn't a popular modification.

#26 ·
cortinagt said:
any know what sort of overbore u can get away with without sleeving. In thous would be good as i am used to muching round with old cars hehe.

very interesting thread guys
i wouldnt go anymmore then 60 thou... even then you could be skating on thin ice.

the bores are already very close togeather, reeming them even closer would mean near block death... still i am keen to give it a go

cheers.joe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.