idle issues and other fun questions..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 13:24   #1 (permalink)

idle issues and other fun questions.....

hi all

1980 f250 4x4 (300 I6) was running great..........

halfway though a long roadtrip it started idling a bit high (around 1200-1400). then it wouldn't idle at all. without giving it gas it just dies. not sure if it's related but at or around the same time my oil pressure and water temp gauges both dropped down a bit. the oil gauge was always at the same spot more or less, and now it's a bit lower. also, the temp gauge which was always at or around the same spot (would move a bit up and down depending on driving conditions) is now just at or below the area on the gauge that indicates normal. when the engine is off both gauges move all the way down so they're def moving.

truck starts fine, runs fine, no appreciable loss in power or any other difference while driving, just won't idle.

there's plenty of oil, plenty of water in radiator, there doesn't seem to be any oil in water or vice versa, no smoke or anything bad coming out the tailpipe.

I don't really know much about this motor and the truck is new to me so any and all help or suggestions would be most appreicated.

fwiw, the entire carb/air cleaner seems somewhat loose, as in it's not totally bolted down to the top of the motor. not sure if that's normal or not, but it seems to have a good bit of play.

thanks in advance

cheers

lb
lb5802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 13:39   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: idle issues and other fun questions.....

It could be a vacume leak. You better check that loose air cleaner system and make sure the carb itself is not coming loose. If the carb itself is loose on the manifold then that is your problem right there.

Check all hoses that come from the carb or intake manifold and make sure none have come off or are cracked and leaking vacume. If you get a vacume leak it can cause higher idle as it leans the mixture off.

If the leak gets too large then the engine may not idle and stall all the time yet will run with throttle.
If it is this then you need to get it fixed as running a lean mixture for too long may cause other issues as the burn temp gets higher and can lead to valve burning or other more serious issues.

Last edited by Big Block Ford; 02-27-2009 at 13:40.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 14:12   #3 (permalink)

hey thanks

I think the carb is loose. I had no choice but to complete the drive I was on as I was out in the middle of the desert in mexico, so I probably put 400+ miles on this thing in this condition (in the heat, loaded up with cargo). yikes.

so I'm taking it to a mechanic today. should I ask him to check anything else specifically (valves? )

thanks again
Old 02-27-2009, 15:09   #4 (permalink)

ok so the carb is def loose. seems like right at the base. there is nobody to work on it where I am. my question is will I do more damage driving it like this for another 40 miles or so?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech