idle low and irratic, missing under 1,000rpm - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 04:00   #1 (permalink)
FCT Blue eyed bucket (TM)

idle low and irratic, missing under 1,000rpm

ok guys heres one that has ford dealers scratching there heads, my 94 ED Fairmont has an idle that is low AT TIMES and the base idle can be reset all the time and still happens, the ECU keeps it's memory, the car has new leads, plugs, distributor, coil and IAC, the thing misses like no tomorrow AT TIMES below 1,000rpm and the idle is rough, it isn't broken engine mounts either as there new,

so anyone had this problem and found a fix???
Cobalt_bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 04:12   #2 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Re: idle low and irratic, missing under 1,000rpm

I have a problem where my car idles crap when cold.My mechanic mate thinks its the injectors.They need a real clean.
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:20   #3 (permalink)

injectors have all been out and checked for flow rate, cleaned new seals, and teh problem can happen hot or cold,
Old 10-19-2004, 05:26   #4 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Haven't got a short anywhere in the system to/from ecu? ECU on the way out, even though the memory is still fine? I couldn't think fuel in any way would be a problem, expecially only at low revs.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:35   #5 (permalink)
The Prince Of Darkness

could be ecu if it is i got a spare ed fairmont ecu as i run a ed xr6 ecu now
Spider_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:50   #6 (permalink)

any dtcs in the system? if there is one such as unable to control low speed or high speed idle (dont remember the dtc numbers) it will be the idle control tranister blown inside the ecu. very very common on the ef model and have seen it on the ed - ed as well.
dumbarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:21   #7 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider_GT
could be ecu if it is i got a spare ed fairmont ecu as i run a ed xr6 ecu now
I had a similar problem where mine was rough as guts at idle and evetually it would stall. Took it to the mechanic who had NFI and he sent to his auto electrician. Put in a 2nd hand ECU and it was fixed for 2 days. Problem came back and they replaced the ECU again and also the oxygen sensor. Has been fine ever since. They assured me it wasn't the oxygen sensor the first time but who knows...
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:05   #8 (permalink)

thanks guys, i will throw an ecu at it on tuesday as my work has a few on the shelf, there is no DTC's showing and there is no obvious burn marks in the ecu, anyone had this problem due to low compression??? as i am starting to suspect i may have a few stuffed rings.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:40   #9 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

did ya fix it?
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 23:01   #10 (permalink)

I had the same problem on my 1996 EF futura, After trying all the obvious includeing oxygen sensor, still nothing. As a last resort I turned that funny little screw(with white-out over it) yeah the idle adjustment screw and have never had a problem since. Also try bosh 4 or bosh super4 sparkplugs this probably wont fix your rough idle but youll never have to worry about spark.
Something similar happend when after haveing my head ported and shaved,the so called mechanic left the spring clip off one of my injectors that was hideing under the plastic intake plumbing. After several high qwotes later I decided to look at it myself. One missing clip caused one injector to wiggle lose and basically it dropped that cylinder, Easy to fix so look for simple stuff before replaceing ecu's.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech