Idle speed @ 1600rpm - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2003, 06:46   #1 (permalink)
EAS

Idle speed @ 1600rpm

EA MPI S pack 5 speed

Before taking my car to the Ford dealer for work unrelated to the subject problem, I washed down the top, spark plug side and injector side of engine with pressure washer. Engine started okay and I drove home.
Next morning car started okay and ran as normal and I left for 40K trip to dealer.
Car gave a jolt on power being applied at a roundabout and I thought "condensation in distributor". Balance of trip at highway speed uneventful.
Told dealer I thoiught I had moisture in distributer and could they clean it.
Dealer replaced distributer cap ("worn out" ) and all the leads ("terminals corroded").
Picked up car from dealer and when I drove car into shed at home I noticed idle was 1100rpm. I thought it may fix itself in the next day or so, as the dealer had disconnected battery.
Next morning start up idle was okay at 500rpm or so, however when hot it was back at 1100 Later it then (whilst being driven) would cut out (stall) whenever clutch was depressed. Got home and let idle at its 1100rpm idle speed which it did for a few minutes then a short hunt and it would cut out as though the ignition was turned off.
Took car back to dealer however it was no longer cutting out but idle speed still 1100rpm. Dealer removed throttle body and fiddled around for an hour and a half " Said they ('EA's") were very difficult to adjust but hoped it was fixed.
Now it idles at 1000rpm when cold and 1600rpm when hot!!!
Any clues on whats wrong . The dealer (Edwards Ford Koo wee rup) obviously does not have much idea.
Did my egine washdown wet something else best not "wetted"?
Thanks for any suggestions I have a Gerorys but I find it a bit brief for my level of expertise.
EAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 23:45   #2 (permalink)
Synchro Abuser

Re: Idle speed @ 1600rpm

There was a thread on the TPS needing adjustment sometimes, on TBI EA's, but yours being MPI, I doubt that's it.

There's a very large chance (being that the fault started around that time) that the water is the cause of the fault... and I know that this doesnt help you but that's the reason why I only ever wash the engine with degreaser cans, and only ever wash the degreaser off with more degreaser. if it needs a wipe out get a sh*tload of rags... water doesnt ever come near my engine bay except rain

I'd say either your dealer made a mistaken adjustment - or your problem is the TPS.
Lets face it - his adjustment did make a difference because it's not hunting anymore (at least thats how i read it), but obviously he didnt outright fix it. Maybe he just picked up the idle so it wouldnt stall and you'd leave him alone?

I think i'd best leave this one for someone who's had the same problem.

Sorry mate...
Old 09-28-2003, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
EAS

Thanks for reply. The hunting problem stopped before I took it back to dealer. However the dealer did adjust something (the wrong way) cold idle went from 500 to 1000 and hot idle wnt from 1100 to 1600rpm.
Old 09-29-2003, 17:39   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Sounds like the TPS may need testing/adjusting. Do a search for threads on this subject; there are a few around
The other possibility is an air leak - are all the hoses on? Take the ISC off and have a look at the gasket, try putting some more sealant in there.
Also, try squirting some degreaser or something around the intake where it joins the head. If the gasket's leaking the revs will change audibly.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:38   #5 (permalink)
EAS

Thanks . I have now loooked at the threads on the TPS and my Gregory's and will check it out on Thursday as you suggest and also with a multimeter (Did'nt know what the TPS wa sat first but do now!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech