Ignition Timing >>> A bit confused! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2002, 14:46   #1 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Ignition Timing >>> A bit confused!

Hey guys, well I am currently trying to set the timing on the EA. I have never done this before, and basically, I don't think it has bee done since it came out of the factory.

I earthed the input plug so that the car is in self test mode.
And the car is at operating temp.

When I initially checked the timing, it was about 1 inch to the left of the IGN mark, this was when idle was at about 800rpm I am assuming the 10 deg BTDC is on the IGN mark, and that where I tried setting the mark to.

Once the idle dropped down to the 500rpm mark, it got a little rougher, and the timing mark moved closer to the IGN mark, but was still about 1cm to the left.

I adjusted it so that it is still a little to the left of the IGN mark (Retarded) and when the idle dropped, it alternated between being on the IGN mark, and being advance past it.

Should I set the idle speed to something different because it's probably stuffing up the settings or something?

If I set it on the IGN mark at 800rpm will this be ok?

Just a little confused about this one.
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2002, 16:57   #2 (permalink)
Mallyboo

Setting "bass" timing

BC,

Yep - you set it to the IGN mark and go from there. Mine was easy for the first bit, timing light was spot on and it hit the same spot everytime. Then after awhile it started 'bouncing' around and doing funny things. Pretty much I gave up getting it spot-on because I had to get the gas system checked in a few days and the guys have to check the base timing anyway before setting the gas mix if they are doing their job properly.

Anyway - as for the mark moving around on you....

... I am going from memory so nobody shoot me over this. When you have entered the car into testing mode and are working on the timing - I think reading from the manual that you have 2 minutes to set the timing. If you need longer than that, you have to switch the car off for at least 15 seconds and then enter self-test mode again.

Don't quote me on this but I think from memory it says this in the manual - read up in the section and see what it says. It would explain the mark bouncing around on you after a bit.

Good luck,

M.........
Old 03-01-2002, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: Setting "bass" timing

LOL.. bass timing :)

Thanks for that. Oh and the 15 second thing is spot on, so we can all save out bullets :p

I'll give it another go tomorow and see if I can get the thing to the IGN mark. I'm guessing the timing must have been about 30deg BTDC because it was pretty far off.

Ok, so the idel speed does not affect the timing, is that correct?

I'll be able to get it spot on when the revs are at 800rpm ish, but any lower and it will move around.

Anyhow, thatnks again.
Old 03-01-2002, 23:19   #4 (permalink)
ben

Bass assuming you have nice HT leads, i would set your timing to TDC.

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 23:45   #5 (permalink)

TDC is an easy way to lose power so i wouldnt set it there. its supposed to be advanced 10deg btdc. set it there (ign mark) and then set the idle.
heres a good site for learning how it works, maybe -someone- would like a look
www.howstuffworks.com/ign...ystem1.htm
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 15:07   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

I set the thing onto the IGN mark, and alternated between IGN and TDC at lower rpm, however I noticed a little power loss so I set the thing just before the IGN mark and now it's all sweet.

Thanks heaps for the help guys.
Old 03-02-2002, 23:02   #7 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Re: Setting "bass" timing

Your right Mallyboo you only have 2 mins and that is not alot of time.Adjust your base idle first Bass as this has a great effect on adjustment.I listed a post under "Idle Speed Controlor started by The Goodz on how to set your base idle.

GOOD LUCK 2.

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech