Im looking at a truck to buy but it has a problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 15:30   #1 (permalink)

confused Im looking at a truck to buy but it has a problem

alright i found a winter beater in the paper..its a 1990 ford f150 with 300 i6 4x4... the guy that has it says that he was driving it with a lad of brush and i just died...it still turns over but it wont start...he thinks it is a fuel pump or a relay...or the ignition switch but i dont think so because it still turnes over... the one thing i noticed was when i opens the door no lights came on at all not even the cab light...he is asking 225 dollers for it and it would perfect for the winter any ideas on what could be wrong theres a guy coming on saterday to buy it if i dont soo i need to know so i dont pass this up thanks
Bigred4x4I6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Im looking at a truck to buy but it has a problem

Since it's turning over, all that really tells me is the motor isn't locked up and that the starter is good, and the switch is ok.
It could still be many things. Need to find out if it has spark or not, to go further with figuring it out.
At that kind of price, and if it just quit on him, it shouldn't be to bad to fix.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:49   #3 (permalink)

well if wat you say is true and the cab lights dont come on it sounds like either a fuse box issue or a wirring loom issuse witch is a easy fix really!!!
if i was you i would buy it!
easy fix and damn do those 4.9's go like the clappas!
im big in ski racing and there used to be a boat getting round called nevada smoke and it had a 4.9 I6 in it supercharged and it use to do 85mph with 2 skiers no problem!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 23:31   #4 (permalink)

Yer I agree with notty, Id snap it up for 225. If its still cranks it wont be to much to get here going again.

Pull off a spark lead, expose the connector and hold it near the rocker cover while some1 cranks to see if you have ignition. Then if thats not the issue check your fuel supply which if its not EFI (it sounds old so Im betting its not) I cant help you with to much.

Mods: Pacemaker extractors, lukey cat back system. DBA Slotted rotors front & back.
Loud-EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech