increasing the kWs of AU - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 03:00   #1 (permalink)

increasing the kWs of AU

I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas.. I got a AU2 ute with what i assume is just the standard 4.0 intech dohc. I wanna increase the Kws a bit without having the car off the road for to long. In other words, whats the cheapest and easiest way and what would be the most I can get out of it without blowing the budget.... cheers
mattau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2005, 17:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: increasing the kWs of AU

diff gears and an exhaust will set you back about 1500 bucks, and your car is only OHC not DOHC.

diff gears

have a look at this thread.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:56   #3 (permalink)

i do a air box mod that puts a 70mm hole in the bottom of the air box along with a hi flow washable filter that gives 12hp on average.
cost is about $120 inc hole cutting.
then i would put on a good 2+1/2 inch mandrel straight flow muffler exhaust. aprox $450 in mild steel. then extractors at about $450 fitted.(pacemaker) with these mods you will lift torque as well as power, so diff ratio change will not be needed. all up about 40hp and 28ft torque.
good luck!
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 22:51   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrglen
i do a air box mod that puts a 70mm hole in the bottom of the air box along with a hi flow washable filter that gives 12hp on average.
cost is about $120 inc hole cutting.
then i would put on a good 2+1/2 inch mandrel straight flow muffler exhaust. aprox $450 in mild steel. then extractors at about $450 fitted.(pacemaker) with these mods you will lift torque as well as power, so diff ratio change will not be needed. all up about 40hp and 28ft torque.
good luck!

Is the 70mm hole for the cold air tube? I am looking to do similar mods to my AUII Futura.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread!!!
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:04   #5 (permalink)

Not sure where you got those exhaust prices xrglen...teem a little strange. Redback 2 1/2 inch 330 fitted (mates car done) and pacemaker extractors 450+ 150 fitting (so 600 total) is what I've been quoted. This is in south Syd. Where abouts you from Mattau?
One thing to take note of is that increasing kw may not increase your accel (drop your 0-100 time) In alot of cases it will, but some mods could actually reduce your acceleration.
EG: comp spec headers and a 3" exhaust will probably give better kw than normal, but it will kill low rpm torque and it's torque that determines acceleration, not power.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Is the 70mm hole for the cold air tube? I am looking to do similar mods to my AUII Futura.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread!!!
YEP, JUST DRILL STRAIGHT DOWN TOWARDS THE GROUND THEN SILOCONE IN A CRC LID WITH THE TOP CUT OUT.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:07   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Not sure where you got those exhaust prices xrglen...teem a little strange. Redback 2 1/2 inch 330 fitted (mates car done) and pacemaker extractors 450+ 150 fitting (so 600 total) is what I've been quoted. This is in south Syd. Where abouts you from Mattau?
One thing to take note of is that increasing kw may not increase your accel (drop your 0-100 time) In alot of cases it will, but some mods could actually reduce your acceleration.
EG: comp spec headers and a 3" exhaust will probably give better kw than normal, but it will kill low rpm torque and it's torque that determines acceleration, not power.
I KNOW DYNOS CAN GIVE DIFFERENT HP FIGS, BUT I DID DO A LOT OF TESTING IN THIS AREA WITH 4 CARS IN 3 WEEKS. I DO KNOW PEOPLE IN THE TRADE OF EXHAUSTS AND HP PARTS BUT SHOPPING AROUND WILL GIVE BETTER PRICES.
FOUND THAT THE NON XR6 MOTORS GOT BETTER TORQUE GAINS THAN XRs.
THESE CARS ARE ALSO FITTED WITH TALLER GEARS THAN XR6s AND STILL OUT PERFORMED THEM AT KWINANA.
PS WHERE IS MATTAU?
Old 12-04-2005, 23:22   #8 (permalink)

Im in Adelaide
mattau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech