Injector Stuck Open? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

Injector Stuck Open?

I have a EB2 4litre, I ran the car real low on fuel and it sputtered and then stalled, I put more fuel in and now it blows heaps of black smoke and won't idle you have to rev it heaps and blows lots of black smoke! RACV came out and said one of my injectors was stuck open hence lots of black smoke and crappy idle. I've taken the injectors out tried to clean them and still the same problem. I'm thinking change the filter and replace the injectors for $250 from REPCO (exchange). Would it be worth dropping the tank out and trying to clean that too.

Ben
Benji2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 19:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Injector Stuck Open?

Running it low on fuel could have caused all sorts of problems...Here's what I'd be doing if I were you:

1. Checking your fuel pressure and flow rate at the rail to make sure your pump & regulator are ok and your lines are clear.

2. Replace your fuel filter regardless.

3. If all is good there, you can buy brand new injectors from ford for about that price! Make sure you clean your rail too.

Depending on how fussy you are you can get away with not cleaning your tank.....
RaceMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 16:20   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMe
3. If all is good there, you can buy brand new injectors from ford for about that price! Make sure you clean your rail too.
Really!? The best quote I got was $390 for bosch injectors and $330 for ACA.
I got some quotes upto $900 for the bosch set!!

Jez
rallyboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 19:22   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyboy77
Really!? The best quote I got was $390 for bosch injectors and $330 for ACA.
I got some quotes upto $900 for the bosch set!!

Jez
Yeah, I remember going back a few years they used to be about $120 per injector for an EB, then about a year ago they were around the $40-50 mark. I don't know if they're still at that price...
Old 04-29-2005, 04:11   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji2665
I have a EB2 4litre, I ran the car real low on fuel and it sputtered and then stalled, I put more fuel in and now it blows heaps of black smoke and won't idle you have to rev it heaps and blows lots of black smoke! RACV came out and said one of my injectors was stuck open hence lots of black smoke and crappy idle. I've taken the injectors out tried to clean them and still the same problem. I'm thinking change the filter and replace the injectors for $250 from REPCO (exchange). Would it be worth dropping the tank out and trying to clean that too.

Ben
Pull the injectors and drop them in Injector cleaner over night , remove all the green "O" rings or they will swell badly , if you want for less than $50.00 you can kit them all ( bursens sell a kit for two injectors at 15$)
Find a source of compressed air and a tube to blow from the nozzle back , ( 10 or 20 psi is enough) you need to snap the injector open with a power source for a moment while blowing air back through the injector .
This sould allow when current is applied for the injector to "click"
Congratulations you just saved heaps of money and have cleaned and serviced them as well , should be ingood working order once the kits are pplied . Good luck
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:37   #6 (permalink)

Due to faulty fuel gauge, ran very low on petrol in mums car. Would idle and do low revs ok, but put ur foot down a tad further and it would misfire ALOT. Ford took it n replaced "burnt out" spark plugs, ignition coil and leads. It's worked perfectly since.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 16:10   #7 (permalink)

Well it's not the injectors, after replacing them and the fuel filter it still runs the same, rough and blowing heaps of black smoke, it was getting dark by the time I finished and after revving it a bit in hope that would fix it noticed the cat was glowing red. I've been told that's because of all the fuel thats not getting burnt. Now could it be the Fuel Pressure Regulator or perhaps the oxy sensor. Can I run a diag to find the cause?

Thanks for any tips
Ben
Old 05-01-2005, 19:39   #8 (permalink)

You should probably check to see whether all cylinders are firing...because you would have to be running really bloody rich for the car to be behaving like that!
Old 05-05-2005, 15:48   #9 (permalink)

Well all sorted now, I'd like to thank all of you for your input, turned out to be the hose off the MAP sensor, it wasn't connected. Had a bit of a chuckle when found that to be the cause, not the injectors! Oh well no harm in a new set.

Thanks
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech