Ford Forums banner

JMM gear for my EF.

5K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  SavageD 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've had a good read around the threads here, and am considering the JMM Dev 3HL kit for my auto EF Falcon (completely stock running gear). Just got a few q's. Apologies for rehashing/asking the same stuff, I just need your "spin" on my EF, if you can spare the time.

1) The Idle - How much of a difference is the "rougher-than-stock" idle do you reckon? What draws your attention? Is it the feel through the pedals or seat? Just the sound? Is there any movement of the tacho needle? What I'm after is something that is totally normal, or sensible in it's behaviour. I'm being paranoid i know, but hey, no point complaining after the cam's in right? :p

2) Fuel economy - I get like 480km around the traps, mainly suburban. Highway is way up there. I once ghosted into the outskirts of Adelaide from Melbourne on one tank, after filling up with Mobil Premium on the Western Side of Melb (out of the city). Econ/Cruise selected the whole way! Never been able to quite repeat that though.

3) Erm, performance - Are there any negatives? I'd expect power/torque to be better across the whole rev range right?

4) What about the harshness of the engine up the top of the rev range. Any change there?

Any other thoughts?

Really appreciate anyones responses. Like I say, I'd best ask the q's before I slap the cash down, rather than come here afterward to bitch eh? Thanks again.

Pic of potential JMM Dev 3HL recipient:

http://storage.msn.com/s1pZ8pl_R1n1...gNzdJWBEARSfQ/00.jpg?MdToken=1807107255375883

Oh yeah, how can I work out what diff ratio I'm running? It was manufactured in Aug '95 if that helps.

:hy:

See less See more
#2 ·
hey man, nice ride. get rid 'o the mudflaps in my opinion though and she'll be right.

i'm no expert but as far as i know you won't experience to much pain with a dev 3hl. i think the dev 5 + is where the idle starts becoming rough (though i'm sure it's worth it). in terms of fuel economy i would imagine it wouldn't be too different from stock but obviously it has the potential to chew thru a lot more if you drive it too 'enthusiatically'. lastly i'd say given it's a 4 litre 6 u can expect the usual power from pretty early on. again, i'm only guessing but i'm sure once u get it to around 2500 you'll be smiling.

#3 ·
ul find idle will be slightly rougher than stock not much definately not through ur seat
fuel economy will be affected if u drive like "Montoya" so to speak otherwise u may lose around 20-50km per tank
power is improved all around however most of it comes higher in the rev range so ull have to rev it to notice
my motor revs to 5500rpm allday everyday smother than a new ba!!! lol but that dependss on the condition of ur motor

#4 ·
diff:

Auto = 3.08
Manual = 3.23

#5 ·
EF Auto I guess will have a 3.08 diff probably. A change to 3.45 would make a big and welcome difference especially with a cam change.

The DEV3HL works well for me the idle is noticeable cammy and it will very occasionally stall when warm not hot idling around car parks for example.

Powerwise it will be all you could hope for coming on a bit later than you would like with a 3.08 diff though at 3500rpm and running to 5500rpm with ease. well it doeson my AU but AU heads have larger exhaust valves and thinner valve stems which may flow better than EF stock heads although the EF head is better to port I believe as it has bigger ports.

Fuel economy well I get 380-420km in Sydney a tank it seems pretty good still to me.

#8 ·
Well, I think you are on the right track.
I have heard greate things about the JMM stuff.
In fact, to put my money where my mouth is, I just got off the phone with Jim (I think) and put my car (95 EF Manual) in for a:
DEV5
Race Headers (HPC coated)
Race Intake

I'll let you know how it goes, maybe my experiences can convince you to go for a DEV5! Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with.

#9 ·
Well, I think you are on the right track.
I have heard greate things about the JMM stuff.
In fact, to put my money where my mouth is, I just got off the phone with Jim (I think) and put my car (95 EF Manual) in for a:
DEV5
Race Headers (HPC coated)
Race Intake

I'll let you know how it goes, maybe my experiences can convince you to go for a DEV5! Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Awesome purchase. Just what I want. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

#11 ·
No problem. Will post pics when i get it done.
Also just got the local mechanic to price some DBA slotted rotors for frount and rear. My car has serious brake shudder, suppose I should make sure it still pulls up ok before I get the DEV5.

Let me know what you decide to go with SavageD.

#14 ·
JMM won't hand out cam specs as its their intellectual property, and you could just go get it reground yourself for cheaper. If you give him a ring he should be able to give you tourque/power figures, and I think in some older threads there is dyno graphs of his kits vs other set ups.

#15 ·
Gentlemen (and ladies). It's too late in the pm to actually ring JMM at the mo', but do you guys reckon a Unichip would be a waste of my mownee when combined with a Dev 3HL (or standard Dev 3)?

And while I'm here (again), what would you say are the differences between the Dev 3, and the HL version. Apart from the listed increase in power that is. I only know that the HL stands for 'High Lift', and someone said "It-is-good".

You might have worked out that I've only recently started paying attention to all this camshaft lark, and it aint easy on the brain I tells ya!

And no, I dont wear a skirt.

#16 ·
Seriously, I'd be looking at the streetfighter cam if I was you. If I had the choice it would be the no-brainer for me. Hell, I hassle Jim all the time to make one for the VCT's for me.

As for a unichip, they are good but I doubt you would get a massive increase from them. What you would get is very good drivability, more so than without one. It comes down to what oyu want the car to do. Most dont need the chip but, if your willing to pay for it, it can give the car that little extra edge. Since you are running a coil pack like the AU it really is the only way to advance the timing and get it really humming.

#17 ·
Hmmm. Streetfighter cam eh (like in the Dev 4)? Why do you say that?

To be honest, I don't know the diff from one cam to another which is why I need the advice of dudes like yerself. Whats so good about the streetfighter one?

I'm after a well behaved idle, but also as much power as i can get with that aforementioned "well behaved idle". (I know, crapping on about idle, when the goal is more power, but...)

Don't hesitate to tell me if I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, as I'm still a-leaning.

Oh and yeah, you're spot on with the Unichip. I want it more for smoothing everything out and getting max drivability, as well as a couple extra kw's. Not having experience with modified cams on my EF before, I'm weary of turning the currently smooth running into a lumpy f@#k-fest :p

The Unichip's a fair bit of extra cash (some $1400 from JMM), but for me, this cars a keeper. Ain't going to be replacing it unless some cosmic event blows it off the face of the earth, and into space. I'm just curious as to how much of a diff that $1400 would get me.

I am truly grateful for any light you can shed on the Dev 3 vs Dev 3 HL vs Streetfighter (Dev 4?) cam thing.

#18 ·
I does exist.
I would choose the streetfighter simply because it is superior (in my opinion) to the Dev3HL and not too far behind the Dev5... Well, a bit but nowhere near the same cost etc.
Its a bang for you buck compromise and the streetfighter wins hands down in my book.

Do yourself a favour, write down exactly what you want to achieve and then ring JMM (and ring some others as well if oyu want) and talk to them. They know their stuff and should point you in the right direction. Until you do that your just running in circles listening to mad buggers like me who will spend you money for you. :s6:

#19 ·
No prob Casper, thanks for the tip. Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that you were giving me a bum steer at all, I'm still learning to construct my sentences properly as well it seems. Heh heh.

Cheers d00d. I shall post back after I've called JMM and booked her in!

#20 ·
SavageD said:
No prob Casper, thanks for the tip. Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that you were giving me a bum steer at all, I'm still learning to construct my sentences properly as well it seems. Heh heh.

Cheers d00d. I shall post back after I've called JMM and booked her in!
Its cool, I get what you ment. I just didnt want to go on about this and that when really, in the end, only you know your goals and you know what you need. I also suggest ringing around, make sure who you are happy with to work on your car. Remember, your money, you are the client, they need to make you satisfied.
I trust JMM 100% with my car and they have never done me wrong. Others have different preferances. I suggest that you get a feel for who is going to be working on your can and make sure you trust them 100%. That way you know you will get the best goods and the best deal for your needs.

#21 ·
I would go for the dev 4 .I have had a dev 4 without any valve spring change and I do assure you that the car hooned along really well.I lined it up against quite a few new ss commodores ,it kept up with all of them and when you compare 50,000 dollars as opposed to 700 dollars you have got to say that is value for money...

#22 ·
If I can convince useles to put his dev4 into his new engine before the Ford Dyno day up here in Sydney we could run my dev3hl and his dev4 on the same day same dyno and see what they do. Both AU auto wagons with no headwork so its a fair fight. Best useless has seen was 150rwkw with the Dev4 best I have seen is 142rwkw. Its still too close to call with dynos being what they are. JMM claim you will get 160rwkw with the DEV4 though if you get the head ported. Useless didn't and still got 150rwkw! The DEV3HL is designed for the standard heads and ecu so it idles better.

I would tend to say go dev4 though just to avoid the valve spring change.

Mind you once its done you never worry about revving to the cut out again.

#24 ·
Hey JonBays....I have the dev 4 in a box and as you know though my error I blew my last engine.I havebeen putting off the cam install becausethe second hand engine idles bad and it is stock.A leak test has found leakage between cylinder 2 to 3.So I am getting another engine put in on Monday-Tuesday under warranty.If that idles well ,I will be puttunig the dev 4 back in,but not in the haste like last time.A regrind cam install is a pain in the butt.Must put cam straight in one day and get lifter rightthen chose a totally different day to put the vernier in.Sorry to hijack..

#25 ·
If I can convince useles to put his dev4 into his new engine before the Ford Dyno day up here in Sydney we could run my dev3hl and his dev4 on the same day same dyno and see what they do

Off track again sorry, when/where's the Sydney dyno day ? Is it the one that was through Fordmods ? Do you have the details still ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.