Just bought an xr6 and it keeps throwing the belt! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2003, 14:17   #1 (permalink)
ESP Member

Just bought an xr6 and it keeps throwing the belt!

Hi guys, well i had just bought an ef xr6 and on the way home it threw the fan belft. We fixed it on the side of the road and about 10km later it threw that one as well. Help!!!! When we look at the pullies the tensioner seems to be spaced out further than the rest and it is just spaced out with nuts, is this normal? It dosent look right to me? What the problem seems to be is that the belt is running too far forward on the water pump, it over hangs about 20mm off the front of the water pump pulley. This in turn then drives the belf off the alternator, and rips strips off the off the belt. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated fellas, ive got a new car I cant drive, it looks good but dosent go!

Last edited by XE-ESP; 12-25-2003 at 14:20.
XE-ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2003, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: Just bought an xr6 and it keeps throwing the belt!

Check the alignment of your pulleys, and the condition of the bearings.
Mine did this at one stage, it was from a wobble in one of the idler pullies at mid to high revs.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 15:37   #3 (permalink)

It might also have the wrong tensioner pulley installed. When my power steering tensioner bearing died the stupid mechanic replaced it with the wrong type and it keep throwing the belt at high rpm. It wasn't until I replaced the one on my brother's car that I realised I had the wrong one installed.
Old 12-26-2003, 17:08   #4 (permalink)
ESP Member

Thanks guys, It seems the pulleys are not lined up, the tensioner is about 10mm forward than the rest, it has been spaced out with nuts????? I wonder why they would have done this?
Old 12-26-2003, 17:30   #5 (permalink)

Can someone take a pic of theres so that we can tell if it is sposed to be spced out, you could always try to remove 1 of these nuts.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 18:32   #6 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

A pulley packed out - I'll say that the thread is stripped back where the nut should be and the dodgy bastards have spaced it out just far enough to put the nut on some good thread but cocking up the pulley alignment - in which case put the spacer on the other side of the pulley & it should line up again - in fact that may be where it's supposed to be in the first place - maybe they had no idea what they were doing.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:16   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Looking at the Gregory's manual it should have no nuts just bolts that attach it to the block (through the timing cover).
Old 12-27-2003, 13:30   #8 (permalink)
ESP Member

hmmmn, I wonder why they would have spaced it out? its a little worring. I have contacted the guy I bought it off and he has offered to get it towed back to his house and take it to the mechanic on monday. Im just worried they have spaced it out to try and aleviate some other problem. The other strange thing is the guy I bought it off has had the car for a year and he says he has never had any work done to it, and has never had any problems with the fan belf. So if it was the spacing, why would it all of a sudden start coming off the first day I have it?
Old 12-27-2003, 13:39   #9 (permalink)
gone

Personally

I would get it checked by your own mechanic 1st before letting it go back to someone you dont obviously trust
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 14:35   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Exactly idler pullies are not that expensive, just replace it.. Or as said try removing the spacers...This could lead to further damage and break down at the least convieniant time, believe me.. You don't get old without getting cunning...I hope !!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech