Just got the thing. Now what. EL Modding. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 05:27   #1 (permalink)
stix

Just got the thing. Now what. EL Modding.

Hey all, new to this board,

Just made the big decision on my first car the other day. And i'm happy to say i'm really impressed with my 97 EL GLi.

Now what can I do to it.

I read on another board that installing extractors will cause me to lose power due to lack of back-pressure. What are the facts on this?

I've also read that forced air, modding the restriction valve in the air filter housing and a decent oil based filter will increase low end torque. True? If so is getting a EL GT air scoop a good idea? Apparently they're bigger than my stock GLi scoop. Or is there some other after market scoop?

The engine is in great nick, and has done about 140,000ks. (Low for these engines i'm sure)

Can't afford a turbo, or to insure the bastard after that for that matter, so throw some low to medium cash ideas my way and i'd be very appreciative.

I'm doing cosmetic stuff too, but keeping the chasers and standard paint - I want that 'sleeper' feel.

Not after a wrx killer... just something with balls. A bit of tone out of the rear end would be cool too.

-carlos
el macho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 13:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: Just got the thing. Now what. EL Modding.

Congratulations mate, they are a solid car. I have one, and they are pretty punchy in stock form. Adding extractors will NOT cost you any power down low. What it does is improve top-end breathing and the power through the midrange. This may create the impression that some power has been lost down low, but this is not the case, essentially you have just changed the power curve a little, and added some at the top, so it may not feel as impressive down low. It may also have the effect of smoothing out the motor at higher RPM, cause the 4.0 is not the nicest at high revs...
A good mod though, and make sure you reset your computer after you mod your car, because the ECU re-learns its parameters after a reset so can better respond to modification.

The larger air intake will help a little, and can be done cheaply, but you get what you pay for. I have done this mod and while I'm sure it is better, the "seat o the pants" dyno tells me nothing has changed, maybe the dyno's sensitivity is reduced by my fat ass...

I have a real nice exhaust sound with one muffler and no resonator on a 2.5 inch system, it sounds sweet. If you arent sure about a system that loud, get it like this first and then add a resonator later on if you aren't happy. It will probably work out cheaper than doing it the other way.
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

I agree with everything that Peter said. If I were you and I was after some reasonably cheap modding I would get extractors and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust (4.0litres sound wicked on idle and high revs with a large exhaust!). I would also purchase a ELXR8 air intake (pipe that scoops air from above your radiator through your bonnet and goes to the air box, This is much more efficient than the stock one and works just as good and if not better than the SS inductions CAI which is around $250? and the ELXR8 one is about $30 from ford. I'd also go for a K&N Panal filter to replace your standard one in your airbox, these are about $110 but are reasonably good. With all these mods you might loose a little bit of power of the mark, but you will sure munch your competitors when you hit second gear and get the revs up! Although then you could always change your diff ratio for quicker take off's, but thats when stuff starts getting expensive, and if you have a lot of money you want to spend, you could always go see mr jim mock and get one of his DEV kits, He can get 180rwkw out of a naturally aspirated 4.0litre six. Hope this helps ya mate,
Rob

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 16:56   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Another good, cheap mod is to do a port+polish on the head. At high revs these motors are capable of much more than they give, even with a stock cam. Even a mild $300 port will see you a noticeable power gain and you'll find the motor holds peak power pretty much up to redline. This, of course, prepares the way for a cam down the track :)

Basically breathing mods, anything you do in this area will help a lot.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 22:39   #5 (permalink)
stix

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I'm going to start with the intake mod, seeing as I just blew some cash on a stereo system.

Anyways, thanks for your input.

-Carlos
el macho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech