K&N flat panel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 05:34   #1 (permalink)

K&N flat panel

hi i gotta XT , i just replaced the paper air filter with a K&N flat panel air filter , and im wondering if anyone knows of the actual benefit....as in how many kws extra....on the KandN website they claim a 8kw increase at the wheel, and the motoquipe dude told me that flat panel will do me as good as a pod....
wats the truth behind all of this.....whats with the BMC pods, how much were they, did u's need a custom box????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 14:34   #2 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Re: K&N flat panel

Dont know man. But have run 150 rwkws with a panel kn filter.So I know its good for that much power.Maybe a pod will make a difference? They say it will but I cant be bothered for now to change it.
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 14:40   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

honestly just changing the filter will make almost no noticable difference to the car.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 23:25   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs down Re: K&N flat panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
honestly just changing the filter will make almost no noticable difference to the car.
i got 118rwkw stock on dynamics dyno, then put k@n filter and jmm plugs in and then got 116rwkw the mechanic didn't know much about the plugs but before second dyno run told me that the filter would give me atleast 4rwkw go figure!
our_blue_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 23:28   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
i got 118rwkw stock on dynamics dyno, then put k@n filter and jmm plugs in and then got 116rwkw the mechanic didn't know much about the plugs but before second dyno run told me that the filter would give me atleast 4rwkw go figure!
basically your looking at less than a 2% change in the runs. To me thats close enought to be no different. I would say neither the plugs nor the filter had any effect whatsoever.
No surprise really.

Did you have stock exhaust at the time?

Old 12-18-2004, 23:39   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
basically your looking at less than a 2% change in the runs. To me thats close enought to be no different. I would say neither the plugs nor the filter had any effect whatsoever.
No surprise really.

Did you have stock exhaust at the time?
yes it had stock exhaust and I think your right in your asumption that its close enough to be no different, maybe the filter is more for higher kw output .Have since put on a 2 1/2 exhaust no headers yet
Old 12-18-2004, 23:43   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
yes it had stock exhaust and I think your right in your asumption that its close enough to be no different, maybe the filter is more for higher kw output .Have since put on a 2 1/2 exhaust no headers yet
I'd say theres the problem then. If the engine cant get rid of the gases any faster then all the intake and spark in the world wont help. Thats the problem with the stock headers, they really choke up the engines. They give the XR's the better heads etc than strangle them with a stock exhaust.

Would be interesting to perform the same test after headers and the exhaust you now have, might show a few kw extra. Then again, might not.
I doubt the K&N filter would make a massive difference, mayby 1 or 2 kw to be honest.

Old 12-18-2004, 23:57   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd say theres the problem then. If the engine cant get rid of the gases any faster then all the intake and spark in the world wont help. Thats the problem with the stock headers, they really choke up the engines. They give the XR's the better heads etc than strangle them with a stock exhaust.

Would be interesting to perform the same test after headers and the exhaust you now have, might show a few kw extra. Then again, might not.
I doubt the K&N filter would make a massive difference, mayby 1 or 2 kw to be honest.
I am ready for headers now just gotta make up my mind which ones to get. Either jmm or pacemaker, when there on i will get another dyno and hopefully will get 130rwkw. would go straight for the jmm but i live in Queensland and the extra cost plus postage and then extra to have fitted once here is an issue
Old 12-19-2004, 00:03   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
I am ready for headers now just gotta make up my mind which ones to get. Either jmm or pacemaker, when there on i will get another dyno and hopefully will get 130rwkw. would go straight for the jmm but i live in Queensland and the extra cost plus postage and then extra to have fitted once here is an issue
yeah, they (jmm) are not the cheapest but they do work. I recommend them myself as I was stunned at the improvement, worth every cent and then some.

Old 12-19-2004, 00:12   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah, they (jmm) are not the cheapest but they do work. I recommend them myself as I was stunned at the improvement, worth every cent and then some.
Ok Casper i think you just pushed me over the edge ,if i dont get the jmm headers now i will always be left wondering,i read the improvement in your car with your mods so they must be pretty good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech