Ford Forums banner

K&N flat panel

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Casper 
#1 ·
hi i gotta XT , i just replaced the paper air filter with a K&N flat panel air filter , and im wondering if anyone knows of the actual benefit....as in how many kws extra....on the KandN website they claim a 8kw increase at the wheel, and the motoquipe dude told me that flat panel will do me as good as a pod....
wats the truth behind all of this.....whats with the BMC pods, how much were they, did u's need a custom box????

#5 ·
our_blue_xr6 said:
i got 118rwkw stock on dynamics dyno, then put k@n filter and jmm plugs in and then got 116rwkw the mechanic didn't know much about the plugs but before second dyno run told me that the filter would give me atleast 4rwkw go figure!
basically your looking at less than a 2% change in the runs. To me thats close enought to be no different. I would say neither the plugs nor the filter had any effect whatsoever.
No surprise really.

Did you have stock exhaust at the time?

#6 ·
Casper said:
basically your looking at less than a 2% change in the runs. To me thats close enought to be no different. I would say neither the plugs nor the filter had any effect whatsoever.
No surprise really.

Did you have stock exhaust at the time?
yes it had stock exhaust and I think your right in your asumption that its close enough to be no different, maybe the filter is more for higher kw output .Have since put on a 2 1/2 exhaust no headers yet

#7 ·
our_blue_xr6 said:
yes it had stock exhaust and I think your right in your asumption that its close enough to be no different, maybe the filter is more for higher kw output .Have since put on a 2 1/2 exhaust no headers yet
I'd say theres the problem then. If the engine cant get rid of the gases any faster then all the intake and spark in the world wont help. Thats the problem with the stock headers, they really choke up the engines. They give the XR's the better heads etc than strangle them with a stock exhaust.

Would be interesting to perform the same test after headers and the exhaust you now have, might show a few kw extra. Then again, might not.
I doubt the K&N filter would make a massive difference, mayby 1 or 2 kw to be honest.

#8 ·
Casper said:
I'd say theres the problem then. If the engine cant get rid of the gases any faster then all the intake and spark in the world wont help. Thats the problem with the stock headers, they really choke up the engines. They give the XR's the better heads etc than strangle them with a stock exhaust.

Would be interesting to perform the same test after headers and the exhaust you now have, might show a few kw extra. Then again, might not.
I doubt the K&N filter would make a massive difference, mayby 1 or 2 kw to be honest.
I am ready for headers now just gotta make up my mind which ones to get. Either jmm or pacemaker, when there on i will get another dyno and hopefully will get 130rwkw. would go straight for the jmm but i live in Queensland and the extra cost plus postage and then extra to have fitted once here is an issue

#9 ·
our_blue_xr6 said:
I am ready for headers now just gotta make up my mind which ones to get. Either jmm or pacemaker, when there on i will get another dyno and hopefully will get 130rwkw. would go straight for the jmm but i live in Queensland and the extra cost plus postage and then extra to have fitted once here is an issue
yeah, they (jmm) are not the cheapest but they do work. I recommend them myself as I was stunned at the improvement, worth every cent and then some.

#11 ·
our_blue_xr6 said:
Ok Casper i think you just pushed me over the edge ,if i dont get the jmm headers now i will always be left wondering,i read the improvement in your car with your mods so they must be pretty good
They are excellent to be honest. People can bag JMM but usually its for the price, not the quality. Of course if you look at Herrods, SVO or any other major performace house, the prices are similar.
Truth is that you are paying more but you are also buying experiance and, IMHO, quality.

But, to be sure, I strongly suggest ringing JMM and, if you have time, PM a few guys that use them on their cars. I think you'll find that 99.9% of people that use them are very happy with the product and service and its mostly those that dont use them (or think they are the motoring equivilant of tarzan) that try to pay out on them.

Anyhow, considering that there are very, very few I6 NA cars running in the 14's with stock internals (and stock cams), even less that are auto, and none that are a heavy ass VCT AU, I'd say my cars 15.02 is pretty good testement to the JMM gear.

#12 ·
Casper said:
They are excellent to be honest. People can bag JMM but usually its for the price, not the quality. Of course if you look at Herrods, SVO or any other major performace house, the prices are similar.
Truth is that you are paying more but you are also buying experiance and, IMHO, quality.

But, to be sure, I strongly suggest ringing JMM and, if you have time, PM a few guys that use them on their cars. I think you'll find that 99.9% of people that use them are very happy with the product and service and its mostly those that dont use them (or think they are the motoring equivilant of tarzan) that try to pay out on them.

Anyhow, considering that there are very, very few I6 NA cars running in the 14's with stock internals (and stock cams), even less that are auto, and none that are a heavy ass VCT AU, I'd say my cars 15.02 is pretty good testement to the JMM gear.
yeah thanks casper, think i betta plan a trip to mildura so0metime soon

#16 ·
Casper said:
yeah, they (jmm) are not the cheapest but they do work. I recommend them myself as I was stunned at the improvement, worth every cent and then some.
Very true. Went there myself a couple of weeks ago...am extremely impressed. Highly recommend them to anyone.

The main reason I drove to Melbourne and had the work done at JMM is that age old idea of 'workmanship' and 'pride in ones work'. Jim and Brendan have a vested interest to see to it that the work is worthy of their name. Brendan (Jims son) has a real passion for the job. If you go anywhere else, the mechanics are just being paid to install a part, made somewhere else by someone they don't know, or care to know.

Call me old fashioned but that makes a huge difference to me.

#17 ·
and engine can only breath as much as it can, the factory units are designed to flow pleanty enough for the car breath at full rpm (and little extra), the replacement unit potentially flows more than the factory unit, however the engine is still not capable of breathing more than stock, hence the new filter will not being able to be used to its potential. So without intake (and especially exhaust) mods there will be no "real" benefit in a higher flowing unit, otehr that you can keep reusing it. I hope that makes sense to you guys.

#18 ·
EvilChief said:
and engine can only breath as much as it can, the factory units are designed to flow pleanty enough for the car breath at full rpm (and little extra), the replacement unit potentially flows more than the factory unit, however the engine is still not capable of breathing more than stock, hence the new filter will not being able to be used to its potential. So without intake (and especially exhaust) mods there will be no "real" benefit in a higher flowing unit, otehr that you can keep reusing it. I hope that makes sense to you guys.
Makes sense and is exactly right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.