Keeping a Boosted I6 Legal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2002, 05:58   #1 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Keeping a Boosted I6 Legal

Hey guys.
Iím a little curious as to what measures need to be taken to keep a Turbo I6 street legal, with relatively low boost, and straight GAS. Will there be a need for pollution tests and engineers reports etc.
If so, what is the average cost for all of these tests.
Thanks guys.

Also, I posted this in another topic, but I did not get much of a response. Any ideas on the issue??
Original Thread:
http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=21664

Query:
Ok, I have been throwing around a few ideas here.

My current gas setup consists of a standard size converter, which is simply turned ON or OFF. There is no gas supply variation what so ever regardless of the revs etc.

If I were to install a turbo, would the following work, using a mixer after the turbo (blow through).

Using two standard converters. The first would be run like normal, as it is now, constantly on. The other would be connected to a variable vacc regulator.
As the boost increases, the vacuum drops, allowing more gas to enter, via the second converter.

There will be mixture adjustments on both converters, obviously within limitations. I'm assuming, it would run a little rich when it first hits full boost, and then lean out a little as the revs go up.

The exact details are obviously a little sketchy at the moment, however, does anyone see any major issues with what I have suggested, keeping in mind that there will be a need for some dyno tuning sessions. I am quite confident that with relatively low boost (7-10 psi) the car would not require twice as much gas as a stock motor, meaning the converters will cope with the demand.

Thanks guys.
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2002, 06:36   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I believe ALL turbo/supercharger setups are supposed to have an engineers report... I believe straight gas and no provision for petrol will be fine with the EPA..

thats about all I can think of
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Sweet.
I did a little more research and more people have suggested that the EPA are fine with the LPG setup, there are no emmision restrictions.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-09-2002, 17:14   #4 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bass Crazy
Sweet.
I did a little more research and more people have suggested that the EPA are fine with the LPG setup, there are no emmision restrictions.

Thanks for the reply.
From what I can understand, when you remove the petrol system (including the tank), the RTA will remove the compliance plate related to ADR's that refer to emission control. Hence no need for any emission control. Thats what happens in SA at least...

No Cat Conv..
No EGR

and by removing the fuel tank, you get a lot more room to add in extra tanks...
Old 08-09-2002, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

bass crazy, why use two mixers?

Use a gas research system and you can blow or supercharge your car without having to have some sort of 'fancy' setup.

ive already looked into all this, gas research kits are ready to go since the throttle body is much bigger then a impco and other systems and will be ideal for supercharging or turbo'ing a falcon.
Old 08-10-2002, 00:54   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Yep, no CAT or EGR sounds right dude. I was told that as lond as there is no tank, its fine... Swet!!

I have looked at the gas research system. My personal opinion is that there gear is overpriced, and I reckon I could make a setup that will do the job just as well, at a much lower price.
Old 08-11-2002, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
XD's rule

are you sure on your current gas setup?
im 99% sure the type of system you are referring to relies on manifold vacume, and the air flowing thru the gas 'ring' to draw the gas into the airstream. the car wouldnt run at all if it just supplied a constant flow of LPG...!

you could look for a GRA system second hand, as all you need are the converter / mixer. impco also make decent gas stuff, (up to 5000hp systems lol) and they are much cheaper than GRA - impco's 425cfm would probably do the job, or dual ca225cfm mixers, and you could pick up a Elko E420 converter (also sold as OHG X1, and a few other brands... i only know these two tho:)) which will flow 420hp of LPG of ya really cheap, or get 2. they flow more than the B2 converters (they were used on thousands of LPG conversions! from 6's to 8's).

the converter will need to have its atmospheric vent connected to boost, so the vapor pressure rises as boost comes on (ALL converters have a vent for this, its how they decide what pressure to regulate the vapor to - so basically all converters are compatible with a turbo application). im not sure if the line needs a one way valve (so it only sees boost not vacume) ?
xced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech