Knock Sensor? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 16:56   #1 (permalink)

Knock Sensor?

Hi guys. Been having a few dramas with my 96 Fairmont recently.. it seems to be activating the knock sensor or something and i cant pin point whats causing it. As the cars accelerating is makes a sound similar to that when hitting a limiter, stops accelerating, drops revs then picks up again and does this about three times. I've noticed it only does it on one particular stretch of road and i'm stumped as to what it might be. I initially thought the box was slipping but i've since had that checked out and everything is fine. Any ideas as to what it might be??
Just for the record i ran the car on optimax last week and didn't have a problem. Any help will be much appreciated
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
FE LTD

Re: Knock Sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Hi guys. Been having a few dramas with my 96 Fairmont recently.. it seems to be activating the knock sensor or something and i cant pin point whats causing it. As the cars accelerating is makes a sound similar to that when hitting a limiter, stops accelerating, drops revs then picks up again and does this about three times. I've noticed it only does it on one particular stretch of road and i'm stumped as to what it might be. I initially thought the box was slipping but i've since had that checked out and everything is fine. Any ideas as to what it might be??
Just for the record i ran the car on optimax last week and didn't have a problem. Any help will be much appreciated
A mate of mine has a similar problem with his on LPG. When flicked over to petrol it comes good and then plays up a little while on LPG then comes good. Its always hard to know where the problem lies.
FE LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 20:44   #3 (permalink)

Do yoou know what caused the problem and how he fixed it? The thing thats got me stumped is why the problem only exists while going up slight inclines. Its really starting to shit me..
Old 05-17-2004, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Obviously spark knock. Check your timing (cam and ignition), fuel pressure, injectors and cooling system.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:18   #5 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Sounds kind of like knock. Is there a high-pitched metallic rattle that accompanies it?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 16:07   #6 (permalink)

There's no metallic sound when the car does it. I spoke to another ford service guy and he recons its an electronic problem with the spark as well. He suggested changing the coil pack first and if that doesn't solve the problem start looking at the fuel system. What sort of life expectancy do the packs have? For the record its a 96 model with 135,000 kays.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:12   #7 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

No noise = not knock then. Weak spark could well be the go. Get Ford/any car sparky to test the coil pack, or, borrow a spare good one from a mate and give it a go.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech

Related Reading: Knock Sensor?