Ford Forums banner

Leaking Coolant! Blown Head gasket?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AUII_Forte 
#1 ·
Well i've been worrying about this for a while. I have noticed quite abit of fluid leaking aroud the head of my eb.

I have taken it to a mecanic several times about this problem, as leaking coolant cant be good. He said first that it was a leaking pipe at the bottom of the radiator, so that was replaced.

Then it was still leaking so i took it back again, and this time he said it was the thermostat, so this has now been replaced (now the temp gauge never even goes into the normal band of the temp gauge, sits right underneath)

But now i have continued to see this coolant leaking, as it has been replaced with long life green fluid. So i can see it dripping down around the back and sides of the block.

Seeming as it is leaking like this, is it the most feared blown head gasket? i dont have much of a clue when it comes to mecanicals so any advise would be appreciated. I dont want to be spending 2000$ on mags and lowering if my engines just about had it.

It seems to run ok so far, idle is a bit rough i spose but nothing really to complain about, it has 230,000k's on it and is a EBII I6.

Some Pics of the leak from the side of the engine and the underneath.

http://www.boomspeed.com/kruxor/ebleakage1.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/kruxor/ebleakage2.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be more inclined to say that you have a stuffed welch plug. There are a few of them along the side of the block and after a while they corrode through.

#3 ·
yeah i had that drama with my EA, thought it was a headgasket at first, I suggest you remove the exhaust heat shield so you can see the plugs, start the car and let it run while you look for leaks

#5 ·
They are cheap as chips, they're a little brass plug. You just get a punch and knock the old one sideways in its bore and pull it out with pliers, be careful not to hammer it in to the block!!!! Then your in trouble! It's probably a good idea to stick a heat gun around the hole and the new plug in the freezer to make it easier to get in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.