Maintenance Qu's on EF 6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 22:51   #1 (permalink)

Maintenance Qu's on EF 6

Hi All,

Being a bit of a newbie when it comes to under the bonet jobs (sparks / oil / filters are about as far as i go), I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with a few simple maintenance questions.

At risk of being laughed at, here goes:

1. I want to flush the coolent in the radiator. After reading the service manual that came with the car, it said to loosen the lower radiator hose to allow coolent to drain out of system. Can I assume that when looking at the drivers side of the radiator, the hose that is connected to the lower corner is the hose they are talking about? This hose appears to be connected via a hose clamp, is there an easy way to losen it, it looks as though it might me a challenger for me to get a screw driver down there to undo (let alone do back up) the clamp.

2. I want to drain / replace the power steering fluid. I have no idea how to do this. The manual and the Haynes Service manual I bought does not cover this at all.

3. I would like to change some of the spark plug leads. These look like a pain to replace because they appear to originate from somewhere behind the manifold that is not easy to get at. Again, both manuals did not seem to cover this.

Thanks for any info you guys / gals can provide.
5_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 00:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Maintenance Qu's on EF 6

I thought you would just take out the radiator drain plug to drain the water, if your looking at the radiator front on, on the left hand side (on the bottom of the radiator) there is a hole, about 1.5 inches into that hole you will find a drain plug, you can get at it with some needle nose pliers, whenever my bros ef is drained we did it that way.

2. I have never even considered draining power steering fluid, i only top it up occasionally.

3. The plugs on the coil pack / distributor (dunno what you call it) end are a bitch to get to. Take off all the pipes from the throttle body back (to the airbox) and you can reach them going from the upper side of the manifold and bending your arm at stupid angles. Be sure to change 1 AT A TIME!!! and if the new cables arn't labled then lable them before hand, or just plug them straight into the plug. This way you wont get all mixed up and you wont have to worry about which goes where.
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 00:47   #3 (permalink)

If you do get mixed up with the spark plug leads, they go back on the coil pack in the following order

1,2,3 on the engine side, from front to back
6,5,4 on the outside front to back.

or 1-6 clockwise starting from the front engine side.

as AU steve said, take out the airbox and you can just get to them by reaching under the front of the manifold
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:04   #4 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Replacing the leads is an absolute bugger of a job on and ED (pretty much an ef under the bonnet except for bbm). Before you put the new leads on, I suggest you spray some inox over the connectors on the distributors. Makes it alot easier to push the new ones back on. Also the lead end thats connected to the coil is alot easier to get from underneath. Have fun!

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:09   #5 (permalink)
MY GHIA

ok buddy

1 to flush coolant the right way u have to get coolant out of the motor/heater/rad/hoses just taking the bottom hose will drain the radatior ,with the car cold turn the heater to on , remove the thermostat (remove the p/s cap then the 10mm bolt on the black cover ,remove black belt cover then the thermostat 2 13mm bolts ) then just pop the thermostat out with a small flat blade ( change the o ring ) then in the bottom of the housing u will see a pipe comming up ,out your garden hose in that pipe flush till clear then put the hose in the res tank flush till clear repeat a few times to make sure all the old stuff is out then put back together put your new coolent in blead the air out and u are done " use distelld water if u can get it" DON"T USE GARDEN HOSE IF U HAVE BORE WATER

2 for the p/s, u will need bout 2.5 lt's of new oil ,what u will have to do is remove the low press hose off the back of the p/s tank ( the one with the clamp not the one with the screw in fitting ) block the tank pipe off put the hose in a bucket (works well with 2 ppl ) then start car and pour new oil in the filler hole while the driver moves wheel from lock to lock (the old oil will come out the hose in the buccket ) then just put the hose on top up and u are done

3 leads for start replace them all not just 1 or 2 with the new ones get bosch or gen ford the last the longest remove the air box and inlet hoses, the new leads are numberd (bosch and gen ford )and the coil pack is numbered so is just rip the old ones off and put the new ones on it's not that hard to do just takes a bit of time

hope that helps
Old 07-13-2004, 15:28   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info.

I'll have a go at attacking the jobs this weekend. Good to know that there is a drain plug for the radiator, when I had a quick look I could not find one with all the stone guards underneath the frount bumper.

What do people recomend as a good manual for the EF, as mentioned before, I bought a Haynes (spelling?) one and it did not seem to cover my questions with any greate detail (if at all), unfortunatly it was seeled so I couldn't check it out before handing over the hard earned for it.

I also looked at a Gregory's one in the shop and it wasn't much better.
Guess this basic stuff doesn't really get covered by these manuals.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-13-2004, 23:25   #7 (permalink)

I got a Haynes manual - worked fine for me. I managed an engine build up from a bare block and a 5 speed conversion using mine. All the power steeting stuff is in section 10.

Ohh and donno - ef's dont have distributors. EA -> ED & EL have distributors, EF and AU onwards have coild packs
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 23:36   #8 (permalink)

In my Haynes manual in section 10 (Steering and Suspension if menory serves) where it talks about the power streeing fluid, topping up and flushing, it says to refer back to chapter 1 - General maintenance.
Chapter 1 only covers topping up the fluid - not flushing.

Maybe I have a different release of the manual, or more than likely missed a bit.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:13   #9 (permalink)
MY GHIA

i got the factory manual ,the only way to go
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech