Milky oil, not Head gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2004, 19:12   #1 (permalink)

frown Milky oil, not Head gasket

A while ago I posted about a blown head gasket and I finally managed to save up enough money to fix it. The problem is I still have the same problem that I had before it was done. I can't work out why my car still has milky oil.

What I did was remove the old head (the old gasket was falling apart), I scrubbed and scraped the block making sure it was very clean and put the new gasket on. I put on a new reconditioned head with new valves and new springs (about $600 worth). Bolted that on with with new head bolts and then put the engine back together. I put in some water tried to start the car but it had a flat battery, so I left it for the night and to go get the battery charged in the morning.

I just went out there to take out the battery to get it charged and I checked the oil and it's gone milky :(

I put the gasket on properly and the head bolts so that can't be the problem now! My gregory's falcon manual only says it's it gasket or the head which it can't be as both are new and the car hasn't even been started yet.

What else could it be? Do I need a new engine? If I do need a new engine does anyone want to do the work for a reconitioned EA head with new valves and springs
jajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 19:16   #2 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

Re: Milky oil, not Head gasket

It could be the oil cooler in your radiator has a hole in it somewhere and is running water back into the block.
Old 07-22-2004, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Did you wipe the face of the head and block with thinners or wax & grease remover before you put the gasket on? Any traces of oil can cause them to leak.

You could also have a split bore or a cracked head.

Rick.

Last edited by Soxx; 07-22-2004 at 22:15. Reason: Wasn't thinking properly, brain fade perhaps.....
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 20:23   #4 (permalink)

I used gasket stripper on the block. That stuff was disolving my skin it was so harsh! I just unwrapped the head from the plastic and put it on. I wiped both the head and the block with a rag making sure they were dry before bolting everything together.
Old 07-22-2004, 21:38   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

The oil that runs through the radiator is actually transmission fluid, use in auto cars. I has nothing to do with engine oil.

Did you put ne oil in after you changed the head gasket??

Assuming you did everything else correct, it is possible that you picked up a cracked head from the reconditioner , or you may have a warped block.
Old 07-22-2004, 22:07   #6 (permalink)

I looked the head over when I bought it and it looked fine no visible cracks or anything. I drained the water and oil before putting the new head gasket on. I haven't flushed the oil through yet (as I haven't started the car) is it possible that some milky oil was still in the engine even though I let it drain for a few days?

If I take the head off to have a look whats going on would I need to get a new head gasket and bolts or would they still be ok to reuse?

My transmission fluid is dark brown/black I think it use to be red.

I forgot before: EAII 3.9 MPFI, 4-speed Autotrans
Old 07-22-2004, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Ah, if you have't started it yet, it's very likely just a bit of water from before.

Don't take the head off before you run it.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 00:59   #8 (permalink)

Just tried to start it and didn't have much luck. I got it to start twice for less 10 seconds and it ran bumpy as hell and now I have a flat battery again.

The oil is super milky now. I'm gonna drain and refil it and see what happens over night maybe the ford mechanic fairy will pay my poor car a visit over night and make it all better!

Edit: I got a jump start and got the car going by putting my foot on the accelorator. It idles terribly with tons of of white smoke/steam comming from the exhaust and the oil is milky again. I thought I'd take it for a drive just to see if that would help it a bit and I have to say the new head/valves/springs gave a noticable power boost. It was just like before the head change, fine while driving but once it was idle the engine would cut out. If I move the throtle cable into the high idle postition would that help?

The car has just been sitting on my front lawn for 2 months could that be affecting it?

Last edited by jajig; 07-23-2004 at 01:48. Reason: New info
Old 07-23-2004, 04:05   #9 (permalink)

Could very well have a split in one of your bores. If water gets there so quickly without running it there is definately a big prob that shouldn't be too hard to find. Drop the oil and water then just fill it with water and see if water comes out the oil drain plug a day later.
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 06:48   #10 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

did you change the oil filter, if not it could poluting the oil, but if you are losing water as well, then you got a crack somewhere.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech