minor starting problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 04:00   #1 (permalink)

minor starting problems

i have one of those problems i'd like to fix, my ef starts usually on the the second turn of the motor but on the odd occasion it takes a little longer say ten turns of the motor to start or i have to try the ignition again then starts as normal, second turn. once the car is started it runs like a dream, so far i have cleaned the isc unit which gave a little improvement but the idle is fine so this got me to thinking could it be one of the sensors, say maybe the crank sensor or cam shaft sensor could have aprt in this as the car is getting older, now done over 180ks must be starting to have somewear.
does anyine have any ideas or have/had same prob
and when should the sensors be changed fauilty or not
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 05:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: minor starting problems

is the battery old? that fixed mine.
RustyEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:31   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Yep, that gets my vote. Or the alternator? I doubt the starter will be dying after only 180 000 km.
Really don't think it's a sensor, tho I could be wrong

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:56   #4 (permalink)

well i just replaced the starter and alternator on my EA.. good to have the car going again!

Didn't make one difference to the starting... still takes around 6 seconds to fire up from dead cold over night! Once started for the day.. instant!

I'm starting to wonder whether its the computer taking a bit to get all the readings to flow fuel.. or a simple pressure/vacuum lock at the motor.
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 13:37   #5 (permalink)

thanks guys, but the battery is near new plus its a 500cca so thats not a problem and the altenator works fine
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech