Ford Forums banner

minor starting problems

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Amber 
#1 ·
i have one of those problems i'd like to fix, my ef starts usually on the the second turn of the motor but on the odd occasion it takes a little longer say ten turns of the motor to start or i have to try the ignition again then starts as normal, second turn. once the car is started it runs like a dream, so far i have cleaned the isc unit which gave a little improvement but the idle is fine so this got me to thinking could it be one of the sensors, say maybe the crank sensor or cam shaft sensor could have aprt in this as the car is getting older, now done over 180ks must be starting to have somewear.
does anyine have any ideas or have/had same prob
and when should the sensors be changed fauilty or not

#3 ·
Yep, that gets my vote. Or the alternator? I doubt the starter will be dying after only 180 000 km.
Really don't think it's a sensor, tho I could be wrong ;)

#4 ·
well i just replaced the starter and alternator on my EA.. good to have the car going again!

Didn't make one difference to the starting... still takes around 6 seconds to fire up from dead cold over night! Once started for the day.. instant!

I'm starting to wonder whether its the computer taking a bit to get all the readings to flow fuel.. or a simple pressure/vacuum lock at the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.