Mods for AU Series I Fairmont Ghia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 01:49   #1 (permalink)

Mods for AU Series I Fairmont Ghia

My brother has just bought a 1999 AU Fairmont Ghia for $13,000. He's the happiest little Ford Driver around at the moment becasue its a keen price for an immaculate vehicle and it leaves him with a little bit of $$$ left over to have some fun. He is going to upgrade the rims, that's his preference, but he also wants to lower the car and do the exhaust and perhaps a few minor tweaks under the bonnet.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone think it is worth paying the higher price for Herrod's to lower the car over just going to the local guy, who did a great job on his EF and my old EL, and getting him to put in King Springs? (I've heard that's all the Herrod kit is anyway)

2. What exhaust work have people had done for the VCT 6? Anyone had anything done that they weren't happy with? Full system, where and how much etc?

3. Other than something like the air filter, what other things can he have done under the bonnet to make it go that little bit better? Doesn't need to be a rocket, he just doesn't want my Turbo to completely embarass him!

Any uselful advice you guys can offer would be great! Thanks in advance!

Antony
(BA Turbs)

August 2003 Venom XR6 Turbo. T5, Leather, Premium Sound, 18" ROH Azzurro (T3 TE50) rims and various useless dealer options.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2004, 02:10   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Mods for AU Series I Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
My brother has just bought a 1999 AU Fairmont Ghia for $13,000. He's the happiest little Ford Driver around at the moment becasue its a keen price for an immaculate vehicle and it leaves him with a little bit of $$$ left over to have some fun. He is going to upgrade the rims, that's his preference, but he also wants to lower the car and do the exhaust and perhaps a few minor tweaks under the bonnet.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone think it is worth paying the higher price for Herrod's to lower the car over just going to the local guy, who did a great job on his EF and my old EL, and getting him to put in King Springs? (I've heard that's all the Herrod kit is anyway)

2. What exhaust work have people had done for the VCT 6? Anyone had anything done that they weren't happy with? Full system, where and how much etc?

3. Other than something like the air filter, what other things can he have done under the bonnet to make it go that little bit better? Doesn't need to be a rocket, he just doesn't want my Turbo to completely embarass him!

Any uselful advice you guys can offer would be great! Thanks in advance!

Antony
(BA Turbs)
1. If your happy with the local guy then use him again. It's not really a huge job and King Springs as as good as most on the market.

2. VCT and exhaust.....Mmmmmm, welcome to the minefield! I will give you my opinion, I'm sure there will be others. I have a AU1 XR6 VCT and, after a year of research, will ONLY have 1 set of extractors on my car. They are the Jim Mock Motorsport Race Headers and matching cat back system. I wont put anything else on my car as I do not believe anything else will give any extra power at all.

3. Go and have a look at www.aufalcon.com and read some of the workshop manuals, that should give you some great ideas I hope.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 23:55   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Casper! Off to have a little looky-see at aufalcon.com now!

Thanks again!

August 2003 Venom XR6 Turbo. T5, Leather, Premium Sound, 18" ROH Azzurro (T3 TE50) rims and various useless dealer options.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
LG
Silver Star

Have a look into chips, after all those mods.

Have a read of http://www.aufalcon.com/Articles/pighappy.htm. AUIII Fairmont (VCT Engine). He's pulling 144 rwkw. Which is getting up and around the 200fwkw.

Pig went for the chiptorque which gave him 8 extra rwkw, but something like unichip, should see about 10-15 rwkw.

Then if he still has some money left over look into a new diff. Then i'd be getting worried if I were you! As he would be lighter, and he wouldn't have the lag!

Make sure your bro puts his pics on aufalcon.com!

For Sale: EF Airbox Lid - $30
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 00:25   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Pig went for the chiptorque which gave him 8 extra rwkw, but something like unichip, should see about 10-15 rwkw.
Actually, I think you would find that Chiptorque and unichip would be within about 1kw of each other, depending on the setup.

Old 06-28-2004, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

You'll find absolutely no difference between the power gains that ChipTorque and Unichip will bring other than through the competency of the person who tunes the car.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:35   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGhiaV8
You'll find absolutely no difference between the power gains that ChipTorque and Unichip will bring other than through the competency of the person who tunes the car.
agreed, they basically do exactly the same thing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech