mpfi - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2003, 20:09   #1 (permalink)
Ford Freak

mpfi

I have been bitten by the bug i just finished my interior change to the nice ghia which i done myself. So it is time my me to convert to mfpi before anyone says check the other thread i have done that and i don't understand the engine are there any toturial (with pics don't wanna get lost) i know there was one a while back from THEGRK which i can't log onto but any help u can give would help

thanks
matt
frtmatt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
EA-S MPI 5-Speed

Re: mpfi

my engine is stock mpfi
if you need any pics of how its setup or anythign along the way pm me and i should be able to help ya out.
but as i said mine was mpfi from factory so i got nfi how to convert
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 20:54   #3 (permalink)
Ford Freak

what i need step by step with pics just so i don't make a mistake
Old 11-03-2003, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
XR82GO

Ok mate here you go a almost complete parts list for the conversion. Using the best compatable parts from each model. YOu should be able to pick all the parts up for about $500 from you local wreckers. This is if your car is a manual by the way. The computer codes will be different if yours is an auto.

- EF dual plane intake manifold (Complete with air temp sensor/tps sensor/Injectors & rail etc etc
-EB Idle air control motor
-EA - ED mpfi fuel pump
-EF air cleaner assembly (the black piping that sits across the rocker cover)
-EF accelarator cable
-EA - EL dizzy mpfi
-EF thermostat housing
-EA mpfi wiring loom (ENGINE WIRES ONLY)
-EB-ED Manual mpfi ecu pre smart lock ( codes 7dac 7dad oda/ 7dac 7dad odb/ 7dac 7dad odc/ 7dac 7dad odd/ 7dac 7dad ode) Make sure the computer has one of the above codes on it.
- EL Vacum switch ( located under the water bottle.{Blue and black valve is the only one needed})

*Differences in wiring loom cfi to mpfi. The injector power wire is mounted to the fuel pump relay on the cfi and mounted to the efi relay on mpfi.
*Heater gose and dipstick both differ on the mpfi models but they can both be leant on gently to make clear.
*ChipTorque can make a switch to change the manifold from short to long runners and the appropriate rpm.
* You will need to make a bracket for the throtle cable.
* All wiring differences are shown in the wiring scamatics.

If on the off chance you can't find a manual computer(any of the codes i told you). I believe that companys like chiptorque can modify the auto ecu's to run as a manual anyway.

The brake booster vacuum hose is longer on the EA-ED multipoint, plus you'll need about a metre of 3/4 water hose to fill the gap in the lines where it used to go thru the CFI manifold.

That about all i know on the subject hope it helps :)

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
Ford Freak

i'm just going to the standard ea stuff at the moment. Is this true i was looking at getting the whole ea mpfi engine with computer and the guy told me i couldn't because of smartlock. So even if i get the parts to convert the computer will always read smartlock. how did u guys get around it
Old 11-04-2003, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
Ford Freak

instead of doing the conversion i thinking of just getting an ea motor with the mpfi computer from the wrecker i got told i couldn't put the moter in because i don't for smartlock i thinking that is central locking. My question why won't this work. Also if i got the bits and pieces for it conversion won't the smart lock be the same thing can anyone help please

matt
Old 11-04-2003, 04:29   #7 (permalink)
EA-S MPI 5-Speed

the smartlock thing was from eb's i think
if you source an ea engine with a mpfi computer i dont see y you would have any problems with smartlock
if you get a computer out of a eb only then i can see y you would have a problem.
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:42   #8 (permalink)
XR82GO

guys if your car is a manual get one of these ecus (these are the right codes)
-EB-ED Manual mpfi ecu pre smart lock ( codes
7dac 7dad oda/
7dac 7dad odb/
7dac 7dad odc/
7dac 7dad odd/
These ecu's will work fine no problems with the smart lock stuff. If you dont believe me ring some one that does these conversions regularly (JIM MOCK MOTOR SPORT) they will know for sure.
And it isn't any harder or dearer to use the better parts of the other models like I said before. Will give you a bit more grunt though.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:06   #9 (permalink)

grab a ea mpfi motor and the ecu whether its manual or auto,grab the right ecu as we know manual and auto are different.(settings)cheaper to buy a motor/ecu then buy parts..

i know my local wrecker has motors for 250/300 bucks for mpfi 3.9 and can grab a 4.0ltr for 400bucks pretty cheap i reckons..be careful what you buy!
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:11   #10 (permalink)

ipswich hey,go to that wrecker down the road from you(i know of two up your way),cant remember the names they have EA's when you walk in,or go to salisbury wrecking (abit of a drive)32775066 or parkridge has cheap motors 38055999
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech