MPI Yet Again - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2003, 01:23   #1 (permalink)
Desiring 800HP

MPI Yet Again

Ok guys specificaly for those that have done the MPI conversion and have thier cars running fine, i want to know exactly what has to be replaced and what doesnt.

Have to be replaced:
manifold (complete)
manifold wiring loom
mpi computer
petrol pump
aircon bracket

Not sure about:
map sensor
loom from computer to the engine bay
dizzy
and did anyone bother gettin that bracket that bolts into the bottom of the manifold and onto the engine casue it is impossible to get off
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2003, 01:47   #2 (permalink)

apparently the distributors are different, but i have one off a cfi on mine and it seems to be fine, so i'd try it with that one and if it doesn't seem rite then change it, but i reckon it's a load of shit

just from what i've found tho..
snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 02:10   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

map sensor is the same, you dont need the loom, just modify the cfi one. The mpi has a different power relay for the ecu and has different wiring which takes 2 mins to change. It ant a load of shit about the MPI dizzy, if you dont want to buy a MPI dizzy the CFI one can be modified. The difference bwtween the 2 is the MPI has a smaller vane that acts as a reference to tell the ecu when the engine is at tdc #1 which lets it know which bank of injectors to fire. CFI has 6 vanes the same size as the injectors are common to all cylinders.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:58   #4 (permalink)

Re: MPI Yet Again

i stand corrected, what will this effect? and how do i rectify it?

snotty
snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:48   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

meh the dizzy doesn't matter.
If you leave the CFI one where it is it will still work perfectly.
Only reason it is differant is because in the CFI ones current position it can't be ajusted because of the lenghth of the wires. THe MPFI one points the other way. i changed mine cause I had a brand new MPFI one from a wreaked car but the CFI one ran fine till I got off my ass to change it.
The Engine bay wiring loom for the injectors needs to be replaced but no other wire looms need to change.
Also you need to change where one wire goes on the plug that went in to the ISC on the cfi setup this is the only wire change.
Fuel pump is an absolute BASTARD to get out and the locking ring is a pig to put back on as well.
Other than that it's very easy.
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:04   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I beg to differ. Have you had a look at the profile of the 6 vanes and compared them? The small vane is a reference vane. if the ecu isnt getting the reference pip signal how will it work out which bank of injectors to fire? It wont and it has to guess. It doesnt matter where the dizzy point in any setup. As long as the rotor mark lines up with the notch on the dizzy base (inder the black cover) itll be fine. It is preferable to the TFI on the oppisite side to the engine to avoid excess heat. And as Carazy said the fuel pump is most definitly a bitch to get out. There is a tool you can make up, Ill scan a pic of it. It MAY even be a ford speciality tool.
Old 06-19-2003, 17:54   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Here's another parts list

- Computer
- Manifold loom
- Manifold Gasket
- Complete manifold including sensors and vaccuum hoses
- Length of heater hose
- Distributor
- Coolant
- Airconditioning compressor bracket
- Fuel pump
- Length of wire to wire up ISC

That's all from memory.

Make sure you have proper wiring!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 19:38   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

The bracket which attaches to the engine "should be there" but its a bitch so I left mine off. I am still running the CFI distributor, NZ is correct about the pip signal though, although if you dont have the cash/couldnt be bothered it runs ok with the CFI dizzy. But by all means, change it if you want. The heater hose is easy to get around, if you look at you thermostat housing you will see a metal pipe which comes out and bends back towards the back of the engine. All I did was cut it down about half way between that bend and the thermo housing, and ran a piece of rubber heater hose AROUND the manifold, and connected it to the metal connection that originally connected into the back of the CFi manifold.

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )

Last edited by SiX_iN_a_RoW; 06-19-2003 at 19:45.
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 22:13   #9 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
I beg to differ. Have you had a look at the profile of the 6 vanes and compared them? The small vane is a reference vane. if the ecu isnt getting the reference pip signal how will it work out which bank of injectors to fire? .
Well the how does the origional system work?
The MPFI still only has 2 injector banks like the cfi setup just more wires.
It's not a sequencial setup and the two banks still fire at the same time as CFI. I know why the shortened rotor is there and saw it when I was comparing Dizzy's. But I can say that it still all works perfectly with the CFI dizzy.
I noticed no change at all when going from one to the other.

Last edited by carazy; 06-19-2003 at 22:35.
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:53   #10 (permalink)
Desiring 800HP

well i have all the parts plus i got thermos and an el rocker cover (there was an eb with thermos so i got all wiring and temp switch.
Anyway I will be putting the mpi dizzy in so what would be the best way to change the dizzies over without totaly farkin up the timing. And NZ is the wiring change your talkin about refering to that post you did with pics on the isc wiring a while ago?

I will be starting it on Sunday so be prepared for questions, i already spent 10 hours polishing the manifold and it came up like chrome.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech