My EA she's a missn' - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2004, 04:50   #1 (permalink)

My EA she's a missn'

I have an EA falcon GL 1990 series 2, 5 speed manual, its done 213,000 km’s and has a CPI 3.9 engine in it.

When my car is idling the engine misses and shakes heaps and at low revs in any gear when cursing along or just slowing down it quirks violently. At about 2000 rpm and above its smooth and there doesn’t seem to be a problem. It’s been serviced recently and still has 5000km before the next one is due. Last week I changed the plugs and leads hoping that would fix the problem. It didn’t! The car doesn’t seem use any more petrol or oil then usual and isn’t overheating at all.

Does any one have any idea what it could be and how much would it cost to fix, or ideally if you can do it your self, but keeping in mind I have very little mechanical knowledge.

Any help would be great!
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 06:43   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: My EA she's a missn'

Have you found it ??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Could be a few things, not what you wanted to hear is it

Might pay to have a look at your engine mounts.
Roughly what speed would you say it idles at? i.e. too low?
Does the engine sound any different? Usually if it's MAP sensor it can develop a nice v8 note!
Best to get somebody to retrieve the codes off the computer, that *should* tell you if it's one of the sensors.
What colour is the exhaust?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58   #4 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

i agree could be MAp sensor.. but normally it will blow fuel out the exhaust.. check the plug and make sure its not loose, got water or dirt in it.. the plug sits upright and plugs in from the bottom.. try unplugging it while its running and see if engine condition worstens or stays the same.. it will run like a bag of crap unplugged
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:35   #5 (permalink)

when was the last time u cleaned ur carby or anything like that... check the carby... i had one was fine when i was over about 2500 but as soon as it was under or was idling used to almost stall and felt like the engine was about to shake out...

wasnt getting enough fuel at low speeds...
got a new one and it worked....

throttle body cleaner stuff might help...
Old 04-29-2004, 13:04   #6 (permalink)

get the 2 injectors cleaned
red ea s-pack 5 speed, engine, 4 wheels + spare, steering wheel, brakes, suspension, exhaust, 20w x 4 stock standerd stereo system, diff (rear wheel one), clutch, seats (including 2 retractable front seats) all with seat belts. Performance Mods : air filter removed, fuel filter removed, some guards taken off for weight reduction.
daza_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 23:52   #7 (permalink)

The engine sounds a little different, but the exhaust is a very black in colour almost like charcoal or something and small amounts of smoke comes out when looking closely.

Where exactly is the MAP sensor and where does it connect from and what too?

IS there any thing else I should look for to Confirm that is it the MAP sensor.
Old 04-30-2004, 00:47   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Map is a black plastic box about the size of cigarete carton on firewall above inlet manifold..With wire to it..Vacuum line..If there is ANY leak in that line or its off it will run mega rich..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:56   #9 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Does sound like the MAp at this point. Check hoses and connection very carefully :) The hose can develop very small cracks which are not easily seen.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:37   #10 (permalink)

so the extra air getting in would explain the missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech