My EB Questions and Probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 18:58   #1 (permalink)

My EB Questions and Probs

Bought a 92 EBII Fairmont Ghia two months ago, is a nice car! Paid $7700 for it. It's got 225000 now bought it at 217000. The car has extractors 2.5inch exhaust, some cam and XH? air intake, and EL GT rims. Goes alright pretty happy.

So far I've had the fuel pump die ($220) passenger window regulator ($88) some wanker reverse into me, new indicator and plastic retainer for bumper, he paid for that ($40). On the weekend the belt that drives the alternator and water pump broke, lucky i just got RACV roadside assist with extra care, so that's fixed.

Car goes to FORD on friday for a checkup and look at things. The auto shifter moves around too much, some squeak at front left wheel when reversing out of driveway, somethings up with steering, tiny bit of play there. Bloody safeway carparks, now got suspected transmission leak! partly my fault, too fast and ABS is gay! Blows black smoke on startup and when revved hardish. Sometimes hunts at idle and almost stalls sometimes, power steering shudders at low revs.

I changed oil, filter, plugs two weekends ago.

Should I burn this bitch now or later.

Thanks for any help tips.
Let me know if you want anymore info.

Thanks
Ben
Benji2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 19:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: My EB Questions and Probs

sorry to say but i think u got ripped off a bit for the price in the first place... i just picked up a manual xr6 for 6 grand with 1600000 ... nothing wrong with it at all... i would say if u like the car keep it but find out how much its gonna cost to fix it all up... all depends if u got money...!
Old 11-08-2004, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

The auto shifter is probably a couple of plastic bushes have perished, easy cheap fix if I am right.
Steering and bit of play coiuld be the rack, or tie rod ends, if just the ends simple cheap fix again.
Power steer shudder, air in the system maybe, or if it is at full lock then power steer switch needs replacing ($70 from Ford)
Hunting at idle sounds like the ISC isn't doing much, or a vacuum leak some where, have you chekced the ISC is plugged in.

All the little things add up to piss you off, but overall it doesnt sound too bad.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

The black smoke when revved is common. The car is just running rich, which just about every stock e-au series falcon does. Nothing to worry about, but if you decide to chip it later, it can sort it out and give a bit more grunt and economy throughout the rev range.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 20:27   #5 (permalink)

Exactly, just little things that go wrong, gives me the shits. I think it runs too rich, is this maybe whats causing the black smoke? I thought i got ripped too, but it looks a treat and goes pretty hard! seen some around for similar prices too, but if things keep going wrong i'll damn well admit i got ripped. Do you guys think it is the rings or something?

Ben
Old 11-08-2004, 20:32   #6 (permalink)

Yes, I've been thinking about a chip just don't know what to get and whether it's worth the money and claimed increased performance. The previous owner bought an XR6 ECU but didn't work cause my car don't got smartlock. My main concern is the black smoke, you can smell the unburnt fuel when it's idling, and the trip computer says 99l at idle, it averages 11.7l/100kms which i don't think is too bad if it's telling the truth.

Edit: The oil goes black quick too.
Old 11-08-2004, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

they all say 99l at idle :0)

and 11.7L average is good, how many k's per tank do you get.

Old 11-08-2004, 20:54   #8 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Check he hasn't also put in an xr6 fuel pressure regulator, which goes hand in hand with the ECU. It runs even higher then stock, which is allready way to rich. Someone else might be able to tell you what the exact pressures are, can't remember off the top of my head.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 21:32   #9 (permalink)

He didn't mention it to me, I'm getting over 500kms and it bloody well ought to, cost over $70 to fill it! Don't know an exact number, it's mostly quick trips too, only takes about 4 minutes to get to work. Thanks for the input so far.

Ben
Old 11-08-2004, 21:38   #10 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

500k's is good return on economy especially seeing as they appear to be mostly short trips, i would not be complaining too much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech