my gauges arn't faulty - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 20:02   #1 (permalink)

my gauges arn't faulty

hello all,

have a xr6 ef 96, all stock that i know of, and some of the weirdest problems.

my oil gauge keeps going up into the red, but if i put my foot to the floor, the oil gauge will go back to normal and slowly greep up.

but i got a new k&n air filter ($155 rip off job from repco) and spark leads and i am no longer having this problem.. any clues?

also, i just found out water does not mix with what ever coolent is in my car ( or the thermo state just became faulty) cause i parked my car on a hill, and all the coolent dripped out the overflow. i put water in, and now my temp gauge goes up and down as the water cycles round with the coolant, should i add a bottle of radiator concentrate to even it all up or drain the whole thing and refill it?
screamerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2004, 04:35   #2 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Re: my gauges arn't faulty

the bouncing temp guage isn't a water/coolant cycle thing (can't imagine how that would work...) - it's a shite thermostat. Get a new one with a bypass hole, or drill a hole in the one you have. There's been threads on this.
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:14   #3 (permalink)

I agree (partly) with GreenMachine -- OTH, if you're going to take off the 'stat cover you'd be best off putting in a brand new one and don't bother buggering with drilling holes. Engines are meant to have 'stats built to specific standards, that way they run best.

BTW, it's winter now and your limo is 8 years old... Why not take it to the radiator place and have them work over the cooling system in time for the heat? They can also suss it for any faults you haven't seen yet -- BEFORE they become embarrassing! You may also want to follow Ford and Toyota by throwing out the glycol-based anti-freeze/boil and put the new non-toxic engine-friendly additive in. Ethylene glycol MUST be replaced every 6 or 12 months depending on the brand -- if you don't, it degrades to corrosive by-products which is why they put anti-corrosion in it... If you have even a pinhole in your heater the stuff can intoxicate you, literally. If you email me I can give you details of an environmentally friendly coolant additive made here in WA -- not by me, and I don't sell it either.

Your oil sounds like you may want to do a flush. It could be you're getting small dirt through the bypass into lifters & etc. Buy 5 liters of el cheapo oil, and an el cheapo filter, and a bottle of flushing goop. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE GOOP TO THE LETTER. Run the el cheapo oil for about 100-200K's, then drop & fill with your fave brand, with a really good filter.
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 13:43   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys

the whole cooling system was reworked 6 months ago when the i got a raditor bloackage which blew the head casket and radiator side, so that has all been replaced and flushed. the thermostat was rerplaced then, would be typical of some machanics to charge heaps and give you shit products.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:15   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, it pays to suss some places well before you take the limo in... If these people did save some $$ by putting a non-genuine part in then that could be the solution. Unfortunately you're 3 months out of warranty now. I'm a great believer in saving money myself, & I've learnt the best way to save is to see how long the place has been in business -- the longer the better. See who else uses the place. It took 5 years before I was prepared to risk my previous XF with Automasters. It sounds like you may want to find another radiator place & see what other damage the first lot did.

How's the oil?
Old 08-30-2004, 19:05   #6 (permalink)

the bastard now leaking oil at the moment, i am parking it for a month i think, i need a new headlamp and will probably save some money and take it to ultratune to fix oil and termo, oil has just hit six months after a double flush. How hard is it to replace the bulbs, at first inspecation, you have to take out battery and airbox?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:54   #7 (permalink)

Dunno 'bout the bulbs on XR's -- I run an XF. But you shouldn't need to remove the batt & airbox, even Ford isn't that stupid... Are they? You may have to sort of squeeze your hands in though!

I think you may want to drop the sump. You say the oil was flushed 6 months ago, was that before or after the cooling system? It's possible somehow some dirt got into the sump during the disaster -- maybe at the blown head gasket bit. Certainly Ultratune would be interested in giving you good service -- they're like Automasters, their reputation is built on good service -- well, in WA anyway. Get them to give you a written quote -- it'll cost a couple of dollars, but will save you heaps. Don't be afraid to shop around either. Like I said in the last post, see who's using which shops.

Did you get the limo new or 2nd-hand? If used, how was it when you got it -- I mean had it been hammered? Where's the oil leaking from -- front or back?
Old 08-31-2004, 19:21   #8 (permalink)

whaaa, that a lot of questions..... the limo was second hand, good condition, had only been doing 12000 k's per year on avaerage and had all logs and service papers. it was full stock. I plan on keeping it mostly that way so i can sell it later for more pennies.

the oil leak i will have to put the car up on ramps to have a look at, i have not got time at the moment to have a good look.

after i get some money going i will fix it, and i will also check round the oil filter, cause i havea feeling its a ryco and i read efs have problems with them.

thanks for all the help...
Old 09-01-2004, 05:48   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't say Ryco are the best filters in the world, but they are certainly a brand I would put in my heap. I know lots of people have trouble with the "one and a half turns" bit -- the number of filters I've had to use a pipe on the strap wrench to loosen them is amazing. Don't forget to rub a few drops of oil on the sealing rubber -- without it the rubber can be sheared off the filter body and then people start blaming the filter!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech