Ford Forums banner

My Stupid Car is Still SLOW

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  fairlanebyford 
#1 ·
My Stupid EA is still very slow off the mark.

I have done the CFI to MPFI conversion.
Checked and rechecked both the ignition and cam timing and both are spot on perfect.

Its that bad that the car is SLOWER than when it had the CFI manifold on it.
This is really giving me the shits and im ready to burn the bloody thing.

Its running a 4 speed auto.....could that be the problem.
I dont think it is as the motor is slow to rev when its in park.

Im out of possible things it could be and its frustrating the hell out of me

I thought it could have been the fuel filter but that would limit top end not bottom end.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Nudge

See less See more
#2 ·
ok nudge, ill give you a clue, check the inlet manifold gaskt, make sure its the mpi one, ive seen this b4, the cfi ones dont have the injector cutouts... c how u go and get back to me

#3 ·
MPFI one is about 2mm thick and the CFI one is paper thin.

Another possibility is the ECU - I am pretty sure the trans and engine ECU is integrated in EB2+ but seeing as you have an EA2 it may not be the case. Maybe the auto is in limp home mode? Is the inlet manifold from a BTR equipped MPFI vehicle? If off a EA1 then it won't have the second TPS for the BTR box.

Just a few suggestions from a non expert..

Dan..

#6 ·
Great we have 2 EBS_4L.

If it's not revving freely, then I would say that it is a breathing problem. Check inlet manifold & gasket as suggested above. If it's not that, then check the intake tubing after the MAP sensor - if it's cracked, it's getting unmetered air.

#7 ·
does it miss at all Nugde or just a sloth when its running..

Without being 100% sure, didn't the CFI use a differnt fuel reg and pump.. I think it would of had to been upgraded to flow the 6 injectors properly.. Maybe get hold of a multipoint pump and regulator and change your filter while your at it

#9 ·
Thanks for the idea's guys,

OK to ebs-4l and axeman yes it is a mpfi gasket i double checked it the manifold and also the gasket that the mpfi manifold came off.

Axeman the ecu came out of the same car as the mpfi gear which was a EA spak mpfi 5 speed. The trans computer is seperate from the engine computer on ea series.

JC- the map sensor is also out of the s pak and the hose for it is perfect as its new.
the pipe giong from the airbox to the throttle body is also brand new ( thanks tibbo)

Tibbo- nah mate it doesnt miss at all its only a slug off the line up to 3500rpm or so then the cam kicks in (i think its a reground cam. the 5 speed was a rocket before i killed the motor( timing chain snapped and minced everything)).
The fuel pump and reg are again out of the same car as everything else.

Any other surgestions

#10 ·
maybe you need to take out the injecters and get them services so they clean it out and flow test them e.t.c cause they might be blocked up to the shit house

#11 ·
Did you change the Fuel pump the CFI Fuel pump delivers fuel at 100 kPa the MPFI Fuel Pump delivers it at 250 kPa so it would definately die taking off if CFI fuel pump was installed.

#12 ·
please read my last post re fuel pump is out of a mpfi car^^^^^^^^^^^

#14 ·
throttle cable ... make sure there are no breaks in the plastic

#15 ·
tibbo - yep changed the MAP sensor off the old car.

EB2Ghia - throttle cable is almost brand new

#16 ·
try the injectors man i bet they are blocked up

#17 ·
double check that the throttle cable is actually delivering full throttle. damage to the cable is not always visible. I had a new cable last 3 days before it bunched up just after the firewall! damn dodgy chinese cables...

#18 ·
also check the cable is clipped onto the correct post at the throttle body, should have two to choose from, if on the front one it only gets 3/4 throttle

#19 ·
Timing is not always perfect just because it's on the mark.
I suggest you try doing it 'by ear' as I usually do - while the motor's idling, twist the dizzy slowly until the motor hits it's fastest idle speed. Then take it for a run. If it pings, back it off a little and try again.

#21 ·
EBS_4L2 said:
whats this meant to mean, i just had to set up another account for use at work cos' i couldnt remember my password, so thats what i called it.
Not meant to mean anything - I just get confused between some of the other users who have slightly different names (eg Madwog and Madwob), so I figured this would add to my confusion! Knowing that it's the same person with 2 logons means there will be no confusion.

#24 ·
To clarify: The car currently runs the 85LE gearbox? The MPEFI & ECU came from a 5 speed? Are these two facts correct?

Without reading up about it, (from memory, too long since owning my EA) doesn't the ECU go into a lean-burn mode in 5th? What state are the 5spd switches in in normal mode? Does the clutch switch affect LBM or only decel mode?

I'm approaching this line of thought from the angle that the ECU may always be in lean-burn mode. Possibly "fooling" the switched inputs to the ECU from the switches to make it believe it is in the correct operation strategy?

Also, is the TPS correctly adjusted so that WOT is recognised?

Can you put a multimeter across the HEGO to see if it is running lean while you drive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.