Na Fairlane Whith Problems Help!!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2004, 21:32   #1 (permalink)

Na Fairlane Whith Problems Help!!!!!!

Hi Everyone im new to this forums and dont really no where to post this thread to.
I have a 1991 NA FAIRLANE WHICH HAS HAD THE FRONT AND BACK ENDS CHANGED TO LTD.

IM HAVIN SOME MAJOR PROBS WHITH THE S,L,S AND A REALL BAD HAMMERING NOISE WHEN TAKING OF IM HOPING SOMEONE ON HERE MIGHT HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT TO DO COSS ITS GOT ME STUFFED ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS GREENY
LTD 1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2004, 21:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: Na Fairlane Whith Problems Help!!!!!!

Hi there Greeny, welcome to the forums. The SLS is a problematic set-up.
What are your symptoms? As a general trend most people get rid of the system and put in regular rear shockers. I have opted to hang onto mine for the sake of the soft ride, but not without occasional problems. As for the hammering noise on acceleration, could it also be suspension related? or is it a engine or trans noise?
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 23:35   #3 (permalink)
NC2 Fairlane Ghia

I had problems with the SLS on my NC so I just got rid of it and put in standad shocks. Mine decided to pump itself right up and poped a shock. It was a bloody loud bang! And at $180 per SLS shock I wasn't going to risk popping another one so just got the standard shocks.
NC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 23:51   #4 (permalink)
known as tibbo

The hammering your experiencing is no doubt the tailshaft hitting the floor... I too have had enough of the SLS and am going to pull it out, Does the car seem to be sitting lower at the rear?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 00:11   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

If you guys getting rid of your SLS, want to give me the parts I will take them, compressor, etc. Thats of course if you want to get rid of them.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:08   #6 (permalink)

Yeah The Rear End Is Sitin Real Low And There Is A Possibility That Its Suspension Related Is It Hard To Replace The Sls
Old 09-20-2004, 06:43   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I kept the SLS on both my Fairlanes and while it's had it's given me some odd problems on both cars I like it and it not usually so hard to fix. The shock do fail every 5 or 6 years but Monroe gas riders ( or any other air adjustable shockies of the right dimensiosn and rating) fit into the system and are what it originally came with.
Old 09-20-2004, 17:21   #8 (permalink)

I am now wondering if the gas-riders would be preferable to the original set-up where air is pumped into the rear-shockers at intervals depending on load etc. Not that long ago I spent $250 getting the compressor cleaned up
as the old filter had disintegrated and bits were sucked into the airline. Then another $90 odd a couple of years earlier having the level reader on the diff
housing replaced as it was bent out of shape somehow. Now on occasions the warning SLS light beeps and flashes, and I know its pumping a bit too high.
Could it be one or both shockers/or the air connection are leaking, therefore the pump is blowing in excessive air to compensate? Either way I'm getting a tad sick of it and want a 'final solution' without sacrificing the nice soft Fairlane ride. Greeny this might be a similar problem for you? What is actually
happening in your case?
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:45   #9 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

The air adjustable Gas Riders are the shocks that Ford fitted as OEM with the SLS and were supplied by Monro.
Old 09-21-2004, 20:19   #10 (permalink)

THE CAR JUST DOESNT RISE AT ALL ANYMORE BUT IT DOES TRY AT START UP THERES A NOISE FROM THE FRONT RIGHT HAND SIDE THAT GOES FOR ABOUT A MINUTE AFTER THAT THE LIGHT COMES ON AND STAYS ON (REALLY ANNOYING) IT USED TO HOWEVER GO REALLY HIGH THEN DROP TO NEXT TO NO RIDE HIGHT.

WHAT PART NEEDS REPLACING COMPRESSOR AIR LINES SHOKIES ?????

I HAVE SPOKEN TO A FEW PEOPLE THAT OWN FAIRLANES AND THEY SAY THAT AFTER GOIN TO THE MECHANIC TO GET IT FIXED IT WORKS FOR A WHILE THEN DIES.

I WANT MY CONFORTABLE RIDE BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREENY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech