need help to fix a engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2004, 03:21   #1 (permalink)

need help to fix a engine

hi i am new to this site, but i need help badly, i have a 1989 ea ford falcon gl station wagon that the motor went in over a year and a half ago, we bought another ea and put the motor out of it into my wagon, now when it was in the other car it worked like a dream, and now since putting it in my wagon it runs like a dog, now to try and fix this we have changed the injectors, changed the water pump, changed the oxygen sensor, changed the calilectic convertor, we have also flushed the motor and changed the water, we have changed all spark plugs and oil and now i need help, my car when you start it is rough, it won't hold idle and constantly stalls when put into gear, it has no power and basically is crappy at the moment. now the thing is it did the same thing with the other motor and we are wondering one could someone help try and work out what the problem could be and the other thing is would it be the gearbox, as it is a borg warner 51 hydraulic transmission and would that be drawing too much power from the engine.

look forward to hearing from you

warm regards
kylie
savagespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2004, 05:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: need help to fix a engine

Have you tried swapping the ECU's over since it all worked fine in the other car. Have you checked the ISC, how much of the original motor and components were swapped over?
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:58   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

How long since you changed the fuel filter?
Old 01-11-2004, 07:03   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pAc|30nG|00n
Have you tried swapping the ECU's over since it all worked fine in the other car. Have you checked the ISC, how much of the original motor and components were swapped over?
hi yes i did change the ecu over from the other car to my wagon along with the black box, basically all that was on the other car we have put onto my wagon trying to find out what the problem is, but thanks for that
Old 01-11-2004, 07:04   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue
How long since you changed the fuel filter?
hi
the fuel filter was changed exactly four weeks ago as i did a complete service on it, thankyou
Old 01-11-2004, 07:11   #6 (permalink)

Maybe check the fuel pressure maybe your pump is on the way out, you could always butcher out the other one.

EDIT: Also maybe the tank and now new injectors need a full on clean. A year and a half of inoperation would have made the fuel almost go to a sludge I would imagine, was the car run still when buggered or was the tank drained?
Proud TQE Operator

Last edited by 6pAc|30nG|00n; 01-11-2004 at 07:13.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:14   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe check the fuel pressure maybe your pump is on the way out, you could always butcher out the other one.
hi
when i changed the injectors over we started the car to see if fuel was getting up there, and it was and it was quiet fast , as for checking to see if the fuel pump was on the way out how would you test that or would you just replace it.

thankyou for replying
Old 01-11-2004, 07:19   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

EDIT: Also maybe the tank and now new injectors need a full on clean. A year and a half of inoperation would have made the fuel almost go to a sludge I would imagine, was the car run still when buggered or was the tank drained?
ok i put the car in to be fixed because it started to get hot that was a year and a half ago, then when i bought the blue ea, it was registered until april of 2003 so we drove it up until then, when it ran out of rego we pulled the motor out and took it to the mechanic and he put it into my wagon, it took him a month to get it operating, and then he would take it for a drive every week on different days, hope that helps to explain it a bit better

thankyou
Old 01-11-2004, 07:28   #9 (permalink)

You dont say whether or not feul pressure has been checked but if its at the mechs now hopefully he has more luck, you better tell him what you have covered or he will probably travel the same path as you have but with a bigger cost.
Proud TQE Operator
Old 01-11-2004, 07:31   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
You dont say whether or not feul pressure has been checked but if its at the mechs now hopefully he has more luck, you better tell him what you have covered or he will probably travel the same path as you have but with a bigger cost.
hi its not at the mechanics at present as i only got it back 5 weeks ago, and since that time i have replaced the spark plugs water pump injectors, oil pump fuel pump air filter oil , ecu little black box, calilectic convetor, oxygen sensor, to check the fuel pump how would i do that,

thankyou

hi again
i just want to thankyou, i changed the fuel pump over this morning and it seems at present to be running better, so thankyou for your advice.

kind regards
kylie

Last edited by savagespirit; 01-11-2004 at 22:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech