New 2 this, Please HELP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 01:13   #1 (permalink)
Bart

New 2 this, Please HELP

Just like to say what a great site!!!! And if possible help, I have a 88 EA Falcon and have had to replace the distrub drive gear on it after a small breakdown, luckaly a real cool dude told the AA guy it was his car and got me towed homeward. My problem is Iv'e replaced the gear but now can't fit the distributor back in. Please is there a knack or trick which i'm missing. help.

Thanx
Bart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2003, 02:36   #2 (permalink)

Hi Bart welcome to the forums. sorry can't help with your dizzy try posting in general tech I'm sure someone there will be able help

or maybe the mods could move post for him
Old 09-11-2003, 16:38   #3 (permalink)
Nothing beats a V8

Re: New 2 this, Please HELP

welcome, and good lock fixing ur pride 'n' joy
XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 18:39   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

assuming that this is a I6 I am moving into that discussion forum
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 07:43   #5 (permalink)
donuts2001

Yeah you gotta stick a 22mm socket on the harmonic balancer and get someone to move the harmonic balancer backwards and forwards, they may need to take the plastic guard off under the car to get access to it. While they push the harmonic balancer backwards and forwards slowly, you put a little bit of pressure in the anti-clockwise direction on the rotor.

And remember you will need the rotor to end up being 1cm clockwise from the number 1 plug mark at TDC.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:09   #6 (permalink)

easier way dude, find which tooth the dizzy will slide in on (it will fit in one -trust me), pull it out, spin it one tooth, put it back in, do this til its where you want... the problem is caused by the oil pump drive not aligning properly
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 21:03   #7 (permalink)
donuts2001

Quote:
easier way dude, find which tooth the dizzy will slide in on (it will fit in one -trust me), pull it out, spin it one tooth, put it back in, do this til its where you want... the problem is caused by the oil pump drive not aligning properly
Yeah thats a good method if he wants to spend hours trying to get it to engage with the oil pump drive, or he could do it my way which takes 5 minutes. Tis I know from experience.
Old 09-13-2003, 00:19   #8 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

It takes like 30 seconds to get it in, just twist the rotor as u push down, aslong as it's roughly where it's supposed to be you can then just start it up and reset the timing like you normally do.
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 18:30   #9 (permalink)
donuts2001

Seriously it takes longer then 30 seconds to get in. You can get it in halfway real easy, but you'll find it's not sitting flush with the block because it hasn't engaged with the oil pump drive.

The oil pump drive is hexagon shaped, and the bottom of the dizzy has a hexagon hole. If it's not at the exact point it won't engage with the pump unless your very very very lucky for it to end up at the exact point needed. On MPFI ones it's even harder due to there being hardly any room for you to slide the dizzy in and out till it binds in the pump.

Sure you can slide it in as you guys suggest and it will take you 30 seconds, but if you noticed it ends up being 4mm above the block because it hasn't engaged with the oil pump. Sure when you start the motor it might finally catch onto the oil pump, but thats a very dodgy way of doing it.

Moving the harmonic balancer back and forth till the oil pump drive and bottom of the dizzy is the best way to do it.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:02   #10 (permalink)

well, do it your way guys, but i use my method and it takes about 30secs also -try it...
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech