NEW cam for I6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2002, 17:30   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Question NEW cam for I6

Just wondering on a new cam everyone seems to stick to crow cams i think. So should i get a crow cam. Whats the price of them and whats the price to get them installed. Extractors are on the list first but i may aswell plan ahead its allways good to know how much i have to spend.

I have done a few searches on cams but i need prices of cam then installation and should anything else be changed while chaging the cam.

Thanks Steve
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2002, 21:32   #2 (permalink)

I dunno about what may be needed when changing to a crow cam, but with my dynotec, I needed to change the lifters, and add another 12 shims, to bring the clearance down for the lifters.

The shims are very cheap, (around $3.00 from ford), but the lifters are costly. (I bought them at $36 each. Remember, you may need to replace all 12 of them, which made it more expensive than the cam itself).
The lifters can be a pot luck thing, you may get away without replacing any of them, but then, you may be an unlucky b@st@rd like myself, and need to replace them all !!!!

I dunno about valve springs, as the Crow cam was not as wild as the ones that I fitted, and supposedly they will work with a standard EA3.9OHC head, but the instructions for my Dynotec suggested that the valve springs be replaced with heavier duty ones. - I left mine as standard, and have had no problems, but they were the stronger XR6 springs anyway.

P.S. does anyone have the specs for the Crow cam (Stage2).
Just curious, as I have got the Lift, and Duration for the Dynotec Stage 2, and wanted to know how they compare ???

Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 22:47   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Xyphiod, I used to have the Crow st2 cam specs but have misplaced them - however all is not lost for you as I got them by calling Crows and asking them - so just do that and I'm sure (hopefully) they'll help.

EBIISIXA, over a period of about 7 years I've tried EDXR6, EF std, Crow 22825 (stage 2 ?) and EFXR6 cams.

The EFXR6 cam I'm currently running in an EFXR6 head, so that's probably not relevant to you but as far as the EDXR6 / Crow cam comparison goes I found that the EDXR6 cam had less low/midrange torque than the Crow but had more up top - IMO the EDXR cam definitely felt "sportier" but that could be something to do with my driving style. The EDXR6 cam also idled decently.

As a matter of interest I tried that Crow cam in the EFXR6 head as well and found that the EFXR6 cam comfortably outperforms it (same low/mid torque but it goes all the way to rev limit).

I need to say that I'm talking straight up "bolt-on" performance here - ie. maybe the Crow cam needs fuelling/timing alterations to really make it work - but overall I found the Tickford cams to work best as bolt-ons.

I've heard people mention a Crow stage 3 cam (? - no mention on their website) - that sounds like it has potential, but if it's wilder than the stage 2 then it's probably unusable with an auto transmission.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 23:12   #4 (permalink)

Thanks EDFUTURA

Thanks for that EDFUTURA

I heard the same thing when I was getting my cam.
Ive got an EFXR6 motor, and I had a Dynotec stage 3 for about 1 month.

The stage 3 was a real dog below 2200RPM, but reved out very nicely up top.
The only thing was it needed about 4mm worth of shims, and changes to ECU to get the thing going well. (Was also pinging badly when floored from idle).

The sales rep sold us the wrong cam, and I ended up replacing it for a stage 2.
I have found the Dynotec stage 2 a little less torquey below 1500 (comapred to the XR6 cam), but above this it revs out rather nicely, and seems to be more powerful up above as well.

I have the specs for the Dynotec stage 2 if any one is interested.
Also, the cam itself cost me $450 fitted. (Without shims and lifters)
Old 03-11-2002, 23:35   #5 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Xyphoid, I'd very much like to see those Dynotech st2 specs - also, how does that cam idle?.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 23:51   #6 (permalink)

The stage 3 was a little bit rough, but not noticeable unless it was pointed out, but the car was very loud, (Also because there were no shims at the time).

The funny thing is the stage 2 idles about the same as the XR6 cam, and the exhuast note sounds deeper, and a little bit lumpier. (Overall nicer note).
I am not sure of fuel economy at the moment, as I haven't driven the thing around much.

Now for the Cam specs
<HR>
<H5>Dynotec Stage 2 - PC3902</H5>
<HR>
<H5>Valve timing @ .050" Cam Lift</H5>
Inlet Opens(BTDC) -16* Closes(ABDC) 32* Duration 196*
Exhuast Opens(BBDC) 28* Closes(ATDC) -18* Duration 190*
<HR>
<H5>SAE Valve timing @ .006" Valve lift</H5>
Inlet Opens(BTDC) 8* Closes(ABDC) 62* Duration 250*
Exhuast Opens(BBDC) 54* Closes(ATDC) 12* Duration 246*
<HR>
Inlet Cam Lift .265"
Exhuast Cam Lift .253"
Inlet lobe lift @ Top dead center 0.16"
<HR>
Hope this helps !
I also have the EF XR6 cam specs, if any one is interested (From the workshop manual)
Cheers
Matt
Old 03-12-2002, 00:01   #7 (permalink)